cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card recons never work for me? Suggestions?

tag
glamchick
Established Contributor

Credit Card recons never work for me? Suggestions?

Everytime I call the backdoor recon number I always get denied.  For instance Barclays and Chase denied me

They always go back and say... why do you have a late back in 2012 for your student loans.  I explained it came out of derferment and they did not pull from my accounts as I set it up for direct deposit.

Then they say sorry we have to deny you at this time.

How does everyone else get recons approved?

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card recons never work for me? Suggestions?

Same here, hahahaha! I was told well what's changed, I said I paid off all the balances that were the sole basis listed on the denial letter!! Their response is oh you want us to pull again?. Hahaha!
Message 2 of 16
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

I had mixed results with recon. In October last year applied for Barclay Ring denied called recon and I got a collection falling in December they said No apply again when the collection is gone. March I think it was applied again 7-10 days message, called recon approved. Applied for a Region Bank cc denied called recon denied that was in February I believe. Chase AARP, black listed for an ancient CO with WaMu, denied called recon approved. So I guess it depends on your profile and the product you are apping for.
Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 3 of 16
Septrosh
New Contributor

Best recommendation I have is always be overly friendly, chat them up and provide them, proactively, why you're interested in their product and how it will help you (excluding sign up bonuses - Not a good reason for a creditor to approve an app as they lose $ with those; it's just an incentive to EARN your business. 

Obviously your portfolio still greatly plays a role in all this. 

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The late from 2012 is just the excuse the underwriter is picking from the list of excuses. It is your overall profiles that decides.

Message 5 of 16
ddemari
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The late from 2012 is just the excuse the underwriter is picking from the list of excuses. It is your overall profiles that decides.

I agree with this. I had no luck with recons back in the day when I had questionable stuff still reporting usually because my profile wasnt optimized. If I had say 1-2% utilization instead of say 18-20% utilization, I think my recons would have gone better. 

Message 6 of 16
glamchick
Established Contributor

my scores are 

TU 740

EQ 684

EX 690

Uti 14%

But was denied 3 cards and 1 cli

And they all said its because of the old lates.  But I've had no lates the past 2.5 years   They talk to me like i am a horrible person for ever being late.

What should I say when they bring this up?  Caues they always ask why was I late.

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel ya!! I reconned for both Chase and Barclays, shot down both times. And, this is after reading success stories for people that had lower scores than me and numerous baddies.

I have credit scores ranging from exp:691, trans:686, and eq: 665. But, still shot down. I guess I have no clue how to recon. Smiley Sad
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ddemari wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with this. I had no luck with recons back in the day when I had questionable stuff still reporting usually because my profile wasnt optimized. If I had say 1-2% utilization instead of say 18-20% utilization, I think my recons would have gone better. 

Agree 100% with both ddemari and CAPTOOL.

It's also important to realize that recons are different with every lender and for every profile. There isn't one "recon template" that anyone can provide which would work for all lenders, since they are all different, as all profiles are different.

Recon is also dependent on the analyst you get for recon, which is not really within your control.

That being said, utilization from 1-9%, scores into the 700's, and a strong history with current cards (years, not months) certainly helps in all recon situations.

Not having lots of recent inquiries and new accounts also helps.

Having a 728 score and four years of strong credit history (even with a few lates or baddies) is usually going to create a different recon response than someone with a 670 credit score, a few baddies, and most accounts having been obtained within the last year.

Message 9 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@glamchick wrote:

Everytime I call the backdoor recon number I always get denied.  For instance Barclays and Chase denied me

They always go back and say... why do you have a late back in 2012 for your student loans.  I explained it came out of derferment and they did not pull from my accounts as I set it up for direct deposit.

Then they say sorry we have to deny you at this time.

How does everyone else get recons approved?

Suggestion: get Lexington Law on the case; I've heard stories of them getting rid of a lot of that student loan stuff.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.