Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card reopened or credit line restored after closure

tag
sjt
Senior Contributor

Credit Card reopened or credit line restored after closure

Has anyone had their credit card reopened or credit line raised after a credit card card company closed or reduced the credit line based on high utiliztion or risk?

My friend's Chase card was closed and their BOA Card line was reduced for high utilization. He sinced paid all of his card off and on time. Im thinking he should call Chase and request they reopen his credit card. His credit report is clean and reflects a 5% utilization.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Card reopened or credit line restored after closure

@sjt wrote:

Has anyone had their credit card reopened or credit line raised after a credit card card company closed or reduced the credit line based on high utiliztion or risk?

My friend's Chase card was closed and their BOA Card line was reduced for high utilization. He sinced paid all of his card off and on time. Im thinking he should call Chase and request they reopen his credit card. His credit report is clean and reflects a 5% utilization.

How long has the card been closed?  If it's been less than a month, there might be a slim chance at it.   He'd probably have more luck with BOA.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 7
BGoneDebt
Contributor

i had a very similar situation, and no, Chase would not re-open the TL no matter what my utilization had dropped to.  This was three years ago.  Last week I crossed my fingers (toes and eyes) and re-applied for the Disney co-branded Chase card since we have a trip coming up and yes, I got the glorious "Congratulations you are Approved" message.

So, all is not lost, they will approve again, but not the old account.  If his scores are decent tell him to try Capital One or Discover and build a little, then go back to Chase.

I can't speak for BoA - never dealt with them at all.

Starting Score: TU 584 EQ 560 EX 686
Current Score: TU 716 EQ 677 EX 714
Goal Score: 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

According to 2 chase analysts that I spoke with, accounts can be reopened within 90 days from the date which last payment is made. Another analyst said they can reopen it but there's no definite guidelines / timeframes with regards to the window for accounts to be reopened. YMMV on this. You may have to just keep calling till you reach someone who's able / willing to reopen the account. In most cases it's pretty hard to get the accounts reopened.

Have him call BofA as well. They may reinstate the credit lines too. Also going to be a YMMV situation since this is up to the discretion of the analyst.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 7
sjt
Senior Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@sjt wrote:

How long has the card been closed?  If it's been less than a month, there might be a slim chance at it.   He'd probably have more luck with BOA.  

I believe its been a little over three years. All accounts have been paid off and on time.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 5 of 7
sjt
Senior Contributor

@momofbeth wrote:

i had a very similar situation, and no, Chase would not re-open the TL no matter what my utilization had dropped to.  This was three years ago.  Last week I crossed my fingers (toes and eyes) and re-applied for the Disney co-branded Chase card since we have a trip coming up and yes, I got the glorious "Congratulations you are Approved" message.

So, all is not lost, they will approve again, but not the old account.  If his scores are decent tell him to try Capital One or Discover and build a little, then go back to Chase.

I can't speak for BoA - never dealt with them at all.

Thanks for the reply and congrats on getting the card!

Message 6 of 7
sjt
Senior Contributor

@enharu wrote:
According to 2 chase analysts that I spoke with, accounts can be reopened within 90 days from the date which last payment is made. Another analyst said they can reopen it but there's no definite guidelines / timeframes with regards to the window for accounts to be reopened. YMMV on this. You may have to just keep calling till you reach someone who's able / willing to reopen the account. In most cases it's pretty hard to get the accounts reopened.

Have him call BofA as well. They may reinstate the credit lines too. Also going to be a YMMV situation since this is up to the discretion of the analyst.

Its been a little over three years since the cards were closed. Since then my friend paid off those and the other open accounts off. He has less then a 5% utilization ratio, no lates, baddies, and a score of around 735-745.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.