Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card suggestions?

tag
hautemama
Regular Contributor

Credit Card suggestions?

I'm currently trying to rebuild my credit.  Not going to apply for anything soon, but just wanted to keep my eye on the prize.  I currently have Chase Amazon, Discover More, Capital One cards.  I wanted to know which is the next best credit card to apply for in the future? American express charge card (green or gold) or any one of their credit cards? And is discover it card better than the more?  Also, what credit score should I be aiming for when applying?  It's slowly creeping up Smiley Happy  Thanks a bunch!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card suggestions?

Well, what are your needs? Do you travel a lot? Are you looking for a basic gas and groceries card? Looking for a great overall rewards card?

A couple to consider:

Chase Freedom

Amex BCE or BCP

Also, you should PC that Discover More card to a Discover It card ASAP. Can be done seamlessly; a couple of minutes on the phone. Better benefits and no disruption to you account.

Message 2 of 7
hautemama
Regular Contributor

Gunnar: Thank you so much!  I just got off the phone and converted my Discover more to an It card!  Thanks for your suggestions!  I used to travel (not so much anymore).  My basic needs are gas, groceries, shopping.  I am planning to use it, and pay in full each month.  I wanted to make my credit profile better, and have a mix of different cards.  I'm also planning in the future to close my other cards that have a high APR and annual fee, so looking for overall a great company.  I;ve heard great things about AMEX, this is the reason why I wanted to eventually go with them for one of my cards.  I used to have a blue but it got closed a while back (due to high balance).  So I wasn;t sure if the rewards one would suit me better or the charge cards they had.  Do the charge cards help with credit? Or do they not count in utilization etc.? 

Also, how many total credit cards should I have? Thanks so much!

Message 3 of 7
bbb3601
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like you are doing the right things. Adding another chase product makes sense to me, but hey it's your world!! good job!

NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000,NFCU Plat 17,000, NavCheck 15,000, USAA Cash 4,000, USSA Rate Adv 2,000, USAA AMEX 3,500, Freedom 2,000, Capital One 2,000, Barclay's Apple 1,500, Barclay's Ring 1500, Various Store Cards.

Message 4 of 7
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@hautemama wrote:

My basic needs are gas, groceries, shopping.  I am planning to use it, and pay in full each month. 

Also, how many total credit cards should I have? Thanks so much!

Gas & groceries -- the Amex BCE/BCP are great for that. I don't know how your history with Amex would affect you there. I hear all the Amex revolvers are harder to get than the green/gold charge cards, but (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), they may have a stronger impact on your credit re utilization.

Only glitch with BCE/BCP is that so many stores don't take Amex. I live in a remote area, got a BCE, then discovered that none of the grocery stores take it. If you're in a city and around more chain stores, it'll probably work better.

As to number of cards, I really think that's a matter of personal preference & individual needs. I hear that four or five is the threshhold for keeping the CRAs happy. Personally, I find that when I go above that, I start losing track of which card does what and who I've paid and haven't. But other people hereabouts seem to manage happily with dozens.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try GE cards they are very good for cli.Good luck

Message 6 of 7
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

I'd go for a GE card as suggested but only if you want it.

1. Walmart Discover is an idea

2. Lowes is another if you do a lot of home improvement

3. Banana Republic Visa so I heard gives out CRAZY insane credit lines but I don't shop there so your mileage may vary

Or if you have USAA monitoring you could go for a World Mastercard and probably get a super high limit. Just make sure your utilization is very low.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.