Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card that Accepts an ITIN, with Limited Credit History

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card that Accepts an ITIN, with Limited Credit History

Hi there, guys.

My mother has an ITIN, which limits the types of credit cards she can get. As far as I know, she's got Bank of America, Capital One, and American Express now to choose from, since I believe Discover and Chase no longer accepts an ITIN.

She has relatively low income (roughly 20-something K) very limited credit history, as we only recently discovered (through here!) that she would be able to apply for cards in the first place. She has a Platinum on Credit Steps, that she's been PIF for two months now.

She's pre-qualified for another Platinum, as well as a Quicksilver One, but I would rather her not have anything with an AF, as her spending doesn't (in my opinion) justify an AF. I'd also rather her not get another Platinum, but if that's all she can do right now, I guess we can deal with that.

My question, I guess, would be: what are her chances with BofA and Amex, with such limited history. I hear Amex seems okay with clean, thin files, but I would identify a 'thin' file as at least 6-months history, and I'm unsure of how BofA is because, honestly, their cards aren't very good so I didn't pay attention, but she's limited in what she can get to begin with.

If you guys know any other ITIN-friendly lenders, please let me know as that would be appreciated, as well as any advice as to how to go on. Thanks!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card that Accepts an ITIN, with Limited Credit History

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help but I was really surprised to learn that any credit card company accepts an ITIN in lieu of social security number. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help but I was really surprised to learn that any credit card company accepts an ITIN in lieu of social security number. Smiley Happy

+1

Non citizens who have permission to work in the United States are permitted to have a Social Security number.  Perhaps she might see if she would qualify to get one... it's not required for credit, but it would certainly make obtaining credit much easier.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10096.pdf

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

CAP 1 is one of the companies that will take ITIN. So give them a ring.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You actually don't need a SSN or an ITIN to have a credit card, that is just a lender preference. SSN is specifically for US employment and is not required to have a US income, potentially a large income say from investments.

The problem is that your credit reporting will be screwed up because without it the issuer either won't report to the bureaus or if they do it will create a fragmented file that no one else can locate.

That said BoA certainly lend to people without SSN's as they are popular with Canadian snowbirds who buy property in Florida. They will often sweeten the pot on a mortgage by throwing in a credit card.

I don't think you will be able to do any of this online, at least with BoA, the only way you can app a card without a SSN is in the branch, they may do it on a case by case basis there. Generally they will put it through as part of some larger attempt to get your business.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

UncleB, she's going to apply soon, actually. It's just a waiting game right now, I guess, to see if she'd be accepted. I feel it's good for her to have two cards with some history behind her as soon as possible, so that she can get a head start into buying a home. Also, by the time she has her SSN, she will have enough history to get some prime cards.

Canadian-in-Seattle, that would make sense. I'll have her attempt to apply in-branch, and if not, I guess it'll be another Capital One for her.

Message 6 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

UncleB, she's going to apply soon, actually. It's just a waiting game right now, I guess, to see if she'd be accepted. I feel it's good for her to have two cards with some history behind her as soon as possible, so that she can get a head start into buying a home. Also, by the time she has her SSN, she will have enough history to get some prime cards.

Canadian-in-Seattle, that would make sense. I'll have her attempt to apply in-branch, and if not, I guess it'll be another Capital One for her.

That's great news! 

A word to the wise... if/when she's able to get a SS#, make sure her existing creditors follow through with updating their records with her new number.  Otherwise, she'll end up with a split file, and the old history will be of limited use. 

Back when my own file was split it varied which file was pulled each time, sometimes it was #1, sometimes it was file #2, and occasionally a creditor would actually get both (!).  It was ridiculous, but thankfully not too difficult to clear up.  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 9
newhis
Valued Contributor

Good luck. It is really sad that Discover no longer take ITIN, I love mine.

I will say, try for BofA, and if not then try for other Cap1. Then wait 6 months and go for Amex.

Message 8 of 9
Grabiela
New Contributor

Bank of America  is one of the companies that will take ITIN. So tell your mom to apply.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.