cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card through Credit Union (Loanliner)

tag
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Credit Card through Credit Union (Loanliner)

I've been looking for a good BT card and found that the CU that does my auto loan seems to have a great one.  It's a VISA with a year free intro rate for BT and purchases, and a 7.5% rate after that period ends.  It would be great so that i can mothball Barclay and my Capital One cards.  It looks like the app involves contacting my CU directly, and the form they use looks like it's serviced by LoanLiner.   Not sure if anyone has any experience with them.  Is there anything wrong with CU VISA cards that i might not know about?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Credit Card through Credit Union (Loanliner)

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

I've been looking for a good BT card and found that the CU that does my auto loan seems to have a great one.  It's a VISA with a year free intro rate for BT and purchases, and a 7.5% rate after that period ends.  It would be great so that i can mothball Barclay and my Capital One cards.  It looks like the app involves contacting my CU directly, and the form they use looks like it's serviced by LoanLiner.   Not sure if anyone has any experience with them.  Is there anything wrong with CU VISA cards that i might not know about?

There's a huge variation among CU cards (think of asking "Is there anything wrong with bank-issued VISA cards that I might not know about".  A First Premier card might get a different answer than a Chase one!).

Generally, APRs can be lower, and so can rewards.   But there are exceptions.

Message 2 of 7
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

But is there a stigma the way there is with FP or Credit One?
Message 3 of 7
Bluebonnet
New Contributor

I don't know of any stigma attached to credit cards through a credit union.  Sounds like a pretty standard 0% intro offer and decent rate.

Last app: 10/4/14
In the garden until Winter of 2016
Message 4 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

No, some of the most valued cards here are from CUs, such as Penfed, NFCU (and now NASA).     Underwriters will know that it's easier to get large CLs from these (and from Amex) so whatever weight is given to CLs on other cards, probably a little less weight is given to these, but no stigma.

Message 5 of 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

I highly doubt it.   For the record, FICO gives no stigma to FP or Credit One or any other rebuilders.  It'd really only be something noticed under manual review, and even on that, positive payment history looks good.   I think the CU deal sounds like desireable features for you.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 7
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

I got a VISA from a local CU. Again, was processed via LOANLINER.

I got the same terms you did - one year no interest in BTs or a Cash Advance.

Only difference is my purchase APR is 12.99% instead.

Hasnt hit my credit reports yet, but I did get a 5K limit with them. Smiley Happy
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.