Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card to apply for

tag
Fred435

Credit Card to apply for

Enjoy the site, has been helpful.

What Card(s) should I apply for?

I currently have no CC (no open revolving accts), I have 3 active (installment accts) mtg, car, personal.

Scores TU Lender pull 685, EQ 712. (these are both Ficos), EX ???.  Credit Karma (760)(FAKO)

Now the bad news:

there have been serious lates but they are 19-20 months ago, since then (perfect).

(used to have a BoA, with large limit, that I requested closed, made payment arrangement, and paid in full every month to pay off, last lates 2008.  Paid off several years ago.)

AAoA somthing like 4-5 years

My goal is to get into the 730 + range (sometime in the next 6-12 months) (beyond that 2-3 years 800+ would be wonderful). (would also like a card that I can use for monthly expenses and pay off each month before the due date, I am looking for rewards, etc. for using credit, for monthly expenses).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card to apply for

Went to your local bank and ask them for their credit card product or they can see if you qualify for any product............if denied ask them for secured CC put down 500 to 5k depend on your finance.
Do the same thing with credit union.
Apply for some store card ( walmart, gas, department store....etc ).
Ps: if u been approved in the first place with some reward card then no need for 2nd and 3rd steps. Just go ahead and apply for maybe 2 or 3 credit card. Hope it's help.
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 8
specsnow

You may have luck getting a CapitalOne Platinum unsecured. Besides that, you may want to consider a reputable secured card from perhaps BofA. After a year with that, it should graduate and you'd be in a much better spot.

Message 3 of 8
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Try for a capital one platinum and a walmart card. Find out what your FICO scores are so we can advise you better. You can buy them on this site for Transunion and Equifax for less than 20 bucks. Get copies of your credit reports from annualcreditreport.com for free if you havent in the last year. Welcome!

Message 4 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Fred435 wrote:

I currently have no CC (no open revolving accts), I have 3 active (installment accts) mtg, car, personal.

Scores TU Lender pull 685, EQ 712. (these are both Ficos), EX ???.  Credit Karma (760)(FAKO)

Now the bad news:

there have been serious lates but they are 19-20 months ago, since then (perfect).

(used to have a BoA, with large limit, that I requested closed, made payment arrangement, and paid in full every month to pay off, last lates 2008.  Paid off several years ago.)

My goal is to get into the 730 + range (sometime in the next 6-12 months) (beyond that 2-3 years 800+ would be wonderful). (would also like a card that I can use for monthly expenses and pay off each month before the due date, I am looking for rewards, etc. for using credit, for monthly expenses).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum

The good news is your staying current and haven't had any lates for awhile. WTG

That being said I think and YMMV but Discovery, Walmart and CU's might be good choices at this point with good chances of approval also try the shopping cart trick for easy approvals.

I would stay away from Chase, Citi Amex and Barclay until you can show some other CC history.

Good luck and best wishes

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 8
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@Fred435 wrote:

Now the bad news:

Thanks.

Welcome to myFICO! I would start with Cap One and/or Discover. Good luck.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 6 of 8
Fred435

Well, decided to apply for Wally World, and they approved for $600, not a lot but enough for me to start charging gas, and some groc. on it and pif each month.  I like the fact that you can pay online or in the store, makes it easy.  I will probably try and go to the CU later this next week or two, and grab another one from them, if possilbe, that way I can have one at zero balance and hopefully one at about 5-15%.  

I really appreciate all the advice on here and look forward to getting into the Garden for 6 months at least.

Thanks again.

Message 7 of 8
Fred435

I really appreciate all the advice. I have to say that without the advice and help/ encouragement I would not have applied for any cards. I will probably think about one more but for now. I have been approved for:
Wally World $600
Discover $1000

I have a few more questions:

Should I ask Discover for a recon to increase my CL to $2-3K or be happy I have 2 new TL. And off to the garden. Or shall I just go to the garden now with a smile?
What are the chances of another card from the Credit Union?

i am going to run a few thousand through the discover each month and PIF or leave a 1-9 balance, wally world will probably run 1000 through each month and PIF to let a 0 balance report.

Not trying to be greedy just trying to get all my ducks in a row.

Scores are ranging 675 TU, EQ 707.

Any advice is appreciated. I look forward to gaining knowledge, and helping others understand and grow their cards too.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.