cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card to pay Student Loans? (Not what it looks like)

tag
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit Card to pay Student Loans? (Not what it looks like)

Bummer. Bluebird/Serve seems like such a hassle and only questionably ethical...
EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 21 of 45
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

You stated you were still in deferred status.  You do know you can make payments while still in deferred and drop the balance that your payment will be calculated on when it starts needing to be being paid. 

I did this and by the time my loans came up for them to calculate payments etc I only have to pay 131 a month.  With the lower payment I can pay extra and get it paid off sooner as it stand now I am already paid thru 11/2014.  Smiley Happy  I am looking at it as my own little safety net in the case of job loss or some other possible income hit.

Just an idea for you if you want to try to get the monthly payment down before it is required to be paid.

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 22 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Don't think the question is really ethical (Open123 had a good post on ethics vs big banks).  If you get shut down it would be "not used as intended" or "perk abuse", i.e. using more than they intended of the benefit.

Once you have located a place to buy the goods, it's not much of a hassle, unless you are trying for big amounts (one person ran into trouble with $150K per month spend, but he/she feels that they got the benefits in that month so it was a success).  In my area, I eventually found 2 of the nearby 6 CVS stores have a reliable supply, after wasting time visiting the other four every few days. 

For some, it is also a game, like collecting higher unneeded CL is for many here.  Some of the more aggressive players are getting $30-40K a year profit (if it's worth doing it's worth doing a lot!), whereas if you are going for say $3K a year, more like a hobby than a life changer.

Message 23 of 45
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

There are at least two ways:

1) Chargesmart.com    This takes credit cards for student loans (and utilities/mortgage/car loans) and if your provider is one of those listed, you can pay with credit card.  It's easy, but they charge a fee (2.5% or so for mortgages) that will negate most rewards.   Good to use for meeting spending requirements though

Have you personally used Chargesmart?  If so has your CC posted Chargesmart transactions as regular transactions?  My SL's are listed there and I want to make sure there is no additional fee.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 24 of 45
culture
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Don't think the question is really ethical (Open123 had a good post on ethics vs big banks).  If you get shut down it would be "not used as intended" or "perk abuse", i.e. using more than they intended of the benefit.

Once you have located a place to buy the goods, it's not much of a hassle, unless you are trying for big amounts (one person ran into trouble with $150K per month spend, but he/she feels that they got the benefits in that month so it was a success).  In my area, I eventually found 2 of the nearby 6 CVS stores have a reliable supply, after wasting time visiting the other four every few days. 

For some, it is also a game, like collecting higher unneeded CL is for many here.  Some of the more aggressive players are getting $30-40K a year profit (if it's worth doing it's worth doing a lot!), whereas if you are going for say $3K a year, more like a hobby than a life changer.

In CVS to buy gift cards?   do they count as goods towards the rewards  ?    if you have any threads talking about this instead of taking your time to explaining it here  feel free to link me Smiley Happy
@Rhaeny wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

1) Chargesmart.com    This takes credit cards for student loans (and utilities/mortgage/car loans) and if your provider is one of those listed, you can pay with credit card.  It's easy, but they charge a fee (2.5% or so for mortgages) that will negate most rewards.   Good to use for meeting spending requirements though

Have you personally used Chargesmart?  If so has your CC posted Chargesmart transactions as regular transactions?  My SL's are listed there and I want to make sure there is no additional fee.

after this thread  I started readying on the chargesmart site,  atm cant find how they make money or the charges for us customers 

Message 25 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, have used it for mortgage payments and utilities, with both Chase and Citi cards (to meet spend requriements).  Both cases went through as normal purchases rather than cash advances. Other posts around saying the same thing.

Message 26 of 45
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Rhaeny wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, have used it for mortgage payments and utilities, with both Chase and Citi cards (to meet spend requriements).  Both cases went through as normal purchases rather than cash advances. Other posts around saying the same thing.

Uh oh....might have found a way to get more rewards!  

One more question, is there a fee for Chargesmart?  What do you do, put a certain amount of money into your account from your CC and then pay from that?

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 27 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

culture wrote:

In CVS to buy gift cards?   do they count as goods towards the rewards  ?    if you have any threads talking about this instead of taking your time to explaining it here  feel free to link me Smiley Happy

Search for Vanilla Reloads as a starting point, and threads on Walmart+gift cards with pin.   Before doing this, people need to research to avoid surprises and understand the risk.

Message 28 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Rhaeny wrote:

One more question, is there a fee for Chargesmart?  What do you do, put a certain amount of money into your account from your CC and then pay from that?

No!  Not a good way to get rewards.  This is a commercial company and charge high fees, as I said in my original post, negating any rewards.

One complaint about the Chargesmart site is that the fee structure isn't very transparent.   For a mortgage for example, they show a very reasonable 4.95 fee

But, on the last page, they add a fee for "large charge insurance" or something, and this is where the 2.5% comes from.  So in my first case, it went from $4.95 to $60, which is very different.

But there isn't an account, you just enter the credit card number and they charge it.   If you need to quickly meet the minimum spend to get a bonus for a new credit card, or to reach a particular mileage level say, then the fee can be fine.   But certainly not for monthly use, unless you have a credit card with an extra good cashback on everything!

Message 29 of 45
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Rhaeny wrote:

No!  Not a good way to get rewards.  This is a commercial company and charge high fees, as I said in my original post, negating any rewards.

One complaint about the Chargesmart site is that the fee structure isn't very transparent.   For a mortgage for example, they show a very reasonable 4.95 fee

But, on the last page, they add a fee for "large charge insurance" or something, and this is where the 2.5% comes from.  So in my first case, it went from $4.95 to $60, which is very different.

But there isn't an account, you just enter the credit card number and they charge it.   If you need to quickly meet the minimum spend to get a bonus for a new credit card, or to reach a particular mileage level say, then the fee can be fine.   But certainly not for monthly use, unless you have a credit card with an extra good cashback on everything!

Okay gotcha....I had to go back and read everything.  Thanks for explaining it again...LOL!!!  

I was so excited thinking that I found a way to get more rewards that Smiley Embarassed.

Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.