Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card weights

tag
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Card weights

@Blackrv7 wrote:

Just for the fun of it I weighed my cards.  

The two obvious winners are CSP and Chase Marriott both at 12 grams individually. Together, they come in at 25 grams so each are something over 12 grams.  

Discover, Amex, Freedom, and right down the line, 5 grams and the lightest...the clear Amex BCP at 4 grams.  

I'm not surprised with the Marriott card as I have had a couple of retailers mention that it is the heaviest card they have ever held.  

Back to your original programming Smiley Wink

Get the version of the card with a chip. That brings the weight up to 5 grams.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 21 of 28
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@dilettante wrote:

I read it online. Someone had measured the weight of both cards. Another person even did a chemical analysis of the Pallasium.  Anyhow, when you hold those cards, you can tell they are substantially heavier than CSP.

+1. I've weighed it as well, and 27 grams is correct.

Sometimes I find it to be too heavy. The most commonly used cards are in vertical slots in my wallet. Its fallen out several times before when I was paying at the till, and it hit the ground with a loud clang. A few times the person behind me even picked it up, and then started commenting about it which was awkward to say the least.

I've never had that problem with the CSP or UA Club cards since they're significantly lighter.

Sounds like your lucky it didn't fall on your foot and break your toe! Smiley Wink

No, but one time the person behind me looked like she was going to break my face when she picked up the card. It was like I could hear all of the thoughts going through her head as she was flipping it around.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 22 of 28
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Well, as crazy as i can be....I thought about buying some Lead Tape Strips made for golf(putters) and place them behind my Ritz Card... So 27grams (Ritz) + extra 24grams of lead tape evenly spread out behind the back of my card would make my new Ritz a 51gram card!  

LOL  I'm soo crazy...medicine time! Smiley Wink

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 23 of 28
dilettante
Established Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

Well, as crazy as i can be....I thought about buying some Lead Tape Strips made for golf(putters) and place them behind my Ritz Card... So 27grams (Ritz) + extra 24grams of lead tape evenly spread out behind the back of my card would make my new Ritz a 51gram card!  

You should totally do it. Order an extra and do it. Love to see the look on the cashiers face when you hand it over.

You should hear all the crazy things that hubby wants to do with our expired Palladium cards.

Message 24 of 28
red259
Super Contributor

@dilettante wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

You should totally do it. Order an extra and do it. Love to see the look on the cashiers face when you hand it over.

You should hear all the crazy things that hubby wants to do with our expired Palladium cards.

If everyone keeps adding weight to these cards we will soon have to pick them up with two hands to hand them over to the cashiers! 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 25 of 28
maksimfa
Contributor

Only issue with marriott, scratches easily.

coolest plastic is the GM cap 1. Black card on a yellow body. So if you tilt it from the side, you see the yellow edges.

Message 26 of 28
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@dilettante wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

If everyone keeps adding weight to these cards we will soon have to pick them up with two hands to hand them over to the cashiers! 

Alright people, I'll be the guinea pig and use my spare card to do it.  I'll pick up some lead tape tonight from a golf shop and post pictures when done.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 27 of 28
Drash
Valued Member

These cards are no joke, I have the chase sapphire preferred and the visa black,I leave them at home because when they are in my back pocket I tend to walk with a limb, they are both too heavyweight than my aunt Purity,who is always hitting me for cash. LOL.

drash
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.