cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card

tag
juicy1

Credit Card

I recently had 5 cards closed by creditors.  Can anyone tell if if paying down the current balances on CLOSED accoounts improves score

GiGi
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card

As long as there is a balance it will count against your utility.  So paying them down will lower your utility and therefor improve your scores.

Message 2 of 4
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

Yes, I know this from personal experience. If the credit card company continues to report your CL, then the balance you have with the card, even closed, will affect your utilization. This thread explains the effects of closing cards, and it doesn't matter if they were closed by you or the credit grantor:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/td-p/347190

As you pay those accounts down, you should expect to see an increase in scores. Best wishes.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 3 of 4
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@juicy1 wrote:

I recently had 5 cards closed by creditors.  Can anyone tell if if paying down the current balances on CLOSED accoounts improves score

Welcome to the forums!!

Why did they close them?

Yes, paying down the balances if included in your overall util. will improve your scores.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.