Credit Cards Are Bad...

tag
bigtim
Frequent Contributor

Credit Cards Are Bad...

DELETE Please...

---------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Cards:
12/2012 - Discover (ICL 3,375 CLI to 5,375 05/2014)
12/2013 - Chase Freedom (ICL 3,500 ACLI to 4,500 07/2014)
03/2012 - Gander Mountain MC (WFNNB) 7,000 CL
04/2012 - Ace Rewards Visa (US Bank) 12,000 CL
Back to gardening for a year or two
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Cards Are Bad...

First off, in full disclosure, I am a big Dave Ramsey fan.  But I don't follow him slavishly.  No one should do that for anyone.

But as you probably understand, you are a rarity.  Something like 75% of loyalty points are never used.  Most Americans regularly carry a balance on their credit cards and say they would use them in case of an emergency (because they have no emergency funds).  On average folks who regularly use plastic spend more than those who use cash or debit.

In his defense, Ramsey has helped untold numbers of folks pay off debt and live more responsibly.  It's like alcohol - if you have a problem stay away.  If not, use responsibly.

Glad you are so responsible with your credit and using all the perks offered by your cards!

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 2 of 6
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

To be fair, I think Dave Ramsey is a good solution for those who've lost control.

I've been there.  I followed his advice for a good while.  But I got over the credit is evil and ultimately I AM responsible for my credit issues.  Stop buying everything under the sun and charging it.  Some people don't have that control and is a bad habit to break.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 3 of 6
EandK23
Regular Contributor

+1 I follow Dave Ramsey religiously and agree to most of his message. To date, he has helped me get out of $45K of debt. I greatly appreciate his advice and guidance. HOWEVER, credit, to many, can be an addiction. I have credit cards and PIF every month. My advice to anyone is use credit cards as a tool on your financial journey not as a sign of financial risk.
Message 4 of 6
lithium78
Established Contributor

I think the public laughs at the idea of a "shopaholic", but it's a real problem, like alcoholism or gambling addiction.  Some people have issues and will abuse credit cards to the point of bankrupting themselves.  For them, credit cards are a bad idea.  However, the average person, when taught properly about credit, can use credit cards responsibly.  They are a fantastic tool for personal finance, but only for people who don't have addictive personalities.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
bigtim
Frequent Contributor

DELETE Please...

---------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Cards:
12/2012 - Discover (ICL 3,375 CLI to 5,375 05/2014)
12/2013 - Chase Freedom (ICL 3,500 ACLI to 4,500 07/2014)
03/2012 - Gander Mountain MC (WFNNB) 7,000 CL
04/2012 - Ace Rewards Visa (US Bank) 12,000 CL
Back to gardening for a year or two
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.