Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards Forwarding

tag
Wovenyarn
Regular Contributor

Credit Cards Forwarding

I recently opened a few new credit cards on last Tuesday (9/29).  I purchsed a new home and am moving on Friday (10/9).  Do credit card companies generally forward your new card or will they return to sender?  Should I hold off on the postal forwarding and just visit the old house to check the mail?

New house is an hour away from current house.

Freedom $3k, DCU $5k, BoA Rewards $1k, BoA Americard $2k, Barclay's Ring $3k, Cap 1 Plat $2k, QS1 $2k, Discover IT $500, Lowe's $10k

Scores: EQ 687, TU 709, EX 692
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Cards Forwarding

They ship to whatever address they have on file. If you gave them the address to old home that's where your credit card is being mailed at.

If postal service has forwarding service use that. Otherwise just pick up your credit card at your old home, then change the address to the new one.

Message 2 of 6
Wovenyarn
Regular Contributor

I put in the postal forwarding to start on 10/9 but I wasn't sure if I should push that date out further.  I've seen so many stories about how long it takes for some cards to arrive.

Freedom $3k, DCU $5k, BoA Rewards $1k, BoA Americard $2k, Barclay's Ring $3k, Cap 1 Plat $2k, QS1 $2k, Discover IT $500, Lowe's $10k

Scores: EQ 687, TU 709, EX 692
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could always have your mail held at the post office for now, once you receive cards then do the forwarding.
Message 4 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

During my 'apartment days' my luck with new credit cards being forwarded was very mixed... more than once the card was returned to sender and I had to make phone calls to get the card reissued.  If you think about it, it could be a fraud issue for a card to be delivered to an address different from the one used on the application.

If it were me, if you know you've got new cards coming just have the USPS hold your mail.  Once your new cards arrive, then start the forwarding order.  That way you're sure to get your new cards and you don't have to worry about it either way.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I purchased a house in July. I opened 5 credit cards the day after I closed. I opened the cards with the address associated with my credit profile and called all the companies the next day to have them change the address of my cards. Since you just opened them I would call immediately. I'm sure they haven't mailed them out yet and you should be able to catch them. US postal service will not forward credit cards from what I understand.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.