Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards Updating Balances?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Cards Updating Balances?

I am on FICO Score Watch and I am wondering why I get notified when I use my credit card and my balance increases by $200 but when I make a payment of $1,000 it doesn't show up?  Is this a game the credit card companies play so that your credit doesn't look as great as it may be because they are holding your payment hostage from the credit reporting agencies?  Anything I can do to get them to report my payments?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Credit Cards Updating Balances?

@Anonymous wrote:

I am on FICO Score Watch and I am wondering why I get notified when I use my credit card and my balance increases by $200 but when I make a payment of $1,000 it doesn't show up?  Is this a game the credit card companies play so that your credit doesn't look as great as it may be because they are holding your payment hostage from the credit reporting agencies?  Anything I can do to get them to report my payments?  Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the forums!

No, you get these alerts because that's the option that you selected on your Scorewatch account. Smiley Happy An increase in balance is a possible security issue, if someone used your card and didn't know about it.

Unless identity thieves are making payments on your card Smiley Wink, a payment is not a potential security issue, so there's no need for that type of alert. If these payments dropped your revolving util (balances reported divided by total credit limits), that might affect your score for the good, and then you'd get an alert for a score change.

Be sure that your target score is set to your current known score. Strange, but true. Don't set a "target", because you won't get an alert if your score changes but doesn't reach that number.

You might want to familiarize yourself with the different events that do and don't trigger Scorewatch alerts: Score Watch Guide

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 7
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Be sure that your target score is set to your current known score. Strange, but true. Don't set a "target", because you won't get an alert if your score changes but doesn't reach that number.

Did not know that! Good information.

Message 3 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I was in a hurry when I replied, or I would have added:

The way that the "target" score works is if your score moves over it, either going up or going down, an alert is triggered. If you set the target to the current score, a score change will cross over it, so to speak, and thus generate the alert.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 7
MrShush
Valued Contributor

It made sense to me Smiley Happy I have my target score set at 801 so naturally an alert wouldn't generate until I hit that, however, I have had score alerts when my score did change. Now, I have it set at my current score so theoretically, I'd be notified whenever the score changes above or below that current threshold, no?

Message 5 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@MrShush wrote:

It made sense to me Smiley Happy I have my target score set at 801 so naturally an alert wouldn't generate until I hit that, however, I have had score alerts when my score did change. Now, I have it set at my current score so theoretically, I'd be notified whenever the score changes above or below that current threshold, no?

Right.

I think of the current score as being like a dog in a little back yard with a fence around it. If your score changes either upwards or downwards, it has to cross that fence, and that's when you'd be notified.

Theoretically, of course, as you said. A lot seems to depend on whether Equifax has placed enough hamsters on the exercise wheels that power their SW servers, and everything else that they run. Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 7
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Right.

I think of the current score as being like a dog in a little back yard with a fence around it. If your score changes either upwards or downwards, it has to cross that fence, and that's when you'd be notified.

Theoretically, of course, as you said. A lot seems to depend on whether Equifax has placed enough hamsters on the exercise wheels that power their SW servers, and everything else that they run. Smiley Tongue

So it's all up in the air LOL? I'll be keeping an eye on them to put this to the test.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.