New Visitor
Yearn2Learn

Credit Cards: "Canceled"

Hoping someone can shed some light:

1) When do the accounts for credit cards - either canceled by me or canceled by credit grantor - drop off a credit report. 

2) Also, my credit union has seen quite the number of "potential fraud" cases whereby they cancel my credit card and issue me a new one.  Is this activity reflected on ones credit report?

3) I have a two late payments listed on my account - one for 2002 and the other for 2006.  I have no idea where these came from as my payments have been paid in full and on time.  I have disputed the hits with no success.  It does state on my account that customer disagrees.  Is there anything else I should do?

Thank you!!

Established Member
defserv

Re: Credit Cards: "Canceled"

1. canceled credit cards drop off your credit report after 10 years.

2. it may be reflected on your report but will not have a negative effect

3. have you tried calling the cc company and disputing the lates with them?

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

If you haven't already, please read Understanding Your FICO ® Score and Credit Scoring 101 (at least the first post.)

These will give you the background knowledge you need to understand what you read here on the forums.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Established Contributor
cobaltnv

defserv wrote:

1. canceled credit cards drop off your credit report after 10 years.

2. it may be reflected on your report but will not have a negative effect

3. have you tried calling the cc company and disputing the lates with them?

Slight correction:
The accounts SHOULD remain on your credit report for 10 years. Some CRA's tend to remove these a bit early.

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}