Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards that bear grudges!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Cards that bear grudges!

@CountryLivin wrote:

I don't know how everyone else feels, but I thought it might be a good thing to make a post about cards that bear grudges and will not let you apply for credit with them if you have previously messed up and had an account closed.

I know that Kohl's is not forgiving....I had a card with them in the early to mid 1980's and it was closed by Kohl's. Almost 30 years later I applied and was told by a rep over the phone that Since I had a card that was closed, they would not give me a Kohl's card.

So when I was younger I burnt AMEX, Macy's and Cap1. I paid Cap 1 back in collections but the other two nothing more happened. 

Amex wont let me back in...I test the waters a few times a year. I apply and they wont even pull my credit....sure sign of being on their black list. 

Macys because I have always heard they dont forgive but will still pull I never really bothered until a few days ago when I was feeling brave and pulled the trigger....boom $500 CL. Sure its my lowest limit by far but  hey they let me back in. I had to call to have them send my card to my PO Box and was thinking I was gonna get the opps we made a mistake and cannot extend you a card but nope all went well and I am back in with Macy's. 

Message 21 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sjt wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

With Amex, it probably depends also on the closure reason.  During the mass closings of the OBC for excessive MSing  (where some people were costing Amex a great deal of money) many of us had no problem getting new Amex cards straight away, and even, two months later, a new OBC.   Which was really quite surprising and I still don't understand!  

Now the reaspn for closure  wasn't a default, but arguably worse in some ways and more expensive than many of the charge offs.

What's OBC.

Amex Blue Cash (referred to as Old Blue Cash to distinguush from the BCP and BCE cards)

Message 22 of 29
CJ7
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
BTW I burned Wells Fargo, Citi Bank, HSBC, Bank of America, US Bank. None of them will even look at me.

I caught BofA and US Bank looking, but it was certainly a scowl Smiley Very Happy

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pipeguy wrote:

Don't forget the most unforgiving of all..... AmEx

Well, that's always been my understanding and personal experience until today. My DW got an AmEx BCE in the mail today, 1 month shy of 5 years post CH7 BK and they were burned in a 1995 BK. They gave her a CL of $10k, but they won't touch me, even though our credit history is the same.

Message 24 of 29
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

Don't forget the most unforgiving of all..... AmEx

Well, that's always been my understanding and personal experience until today. My DW got an AmEx BCE in the mail today, 1 month shy of 5 years post CH7 BK and they were burned in a 1995 BK. They gave her a CL of $10k, but they won't touch me, even though our credit history is the same.

+1

I got with them back in 1995 and burned them in a 2000 BK7, and I was also let back in last year.  I was approved for a Green (closed last month) and a BCP with a credit line of $1k.

Hopefully your DW will have better luck with CLIs than I've had... they've repeatedly turned me down for a CLI due to "... previous negative experience with American Express".  The usual boilerplate suggestion to "work on your file" etc. doens't apply for cases like this.

When my files are completely clean this summer I plan to app for the Delta to use as a 'donor' in 13 months (I have no use for SkyMiles, which makes it a good 'burner' card).  There are quite a few folks on here who were let back in and their first revolver was 'stunted', but with subsequent cards (after the first) they seem to loosen up a bit.  Hopefully that will be the case with me as well.

Message 25 of 29
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Cap1 rocks in this regard!  Burned them in BK way back in 2005 or so. Burned them again as a charge off in 2012. Still unpaid, and I currently have a qs1 in good standing. I honestly would not approve myself if I were a cap 1 UW'er.  

That being said, I must get to work, this forum is quite addicting!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 26 of 29
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Forgiving with me? In 2008 I filed a Chapter 13. Burned just about everyone. Smiley Sad

Those that forgave me? Capital One, Chase, Synchrony (although I think I have reached their internal ceiling), Citi. (I am sure there are others. Smiley Tongue)

Those that won't forgive or forget? (Although in a Chapter 13 you do pay back a percentage of what you owe.) AmX (I am truly in their deepest darkest cellar of nonforgiveness.) Also, Wells Fargo. 

Most forgiving? Definitely Capital One! 

Your lucky, I burned Citi in 1990 for about 2 grand in a chp 13.  2 years ago I applied for a freedom card, when I got an invitation to apply.  Filled out the app, it looked like it was about to be approved, a rep came online asked a couple questions (full name , ssn) , said I was denied due to  a BK.  The HP me with the app as well. Needless to say, My Amex TE is now becoming a Citi Costco.  I got the brochure from citi that my card will be mailed out in may.

Message 27 of 29
krielly
Established Contributor

When we filed Chapt 13 back in 2005, I failed to realize I had a Kohl's card carrying an $11 balance..... Had I known, I would have paid it off and closed it. $11 would have hardly been seen as a preferential payment, lol.

So, not sure if i'll ever apply again, although a Kohl's opened in our area in February, and I would love to get the discounts available when using the card.......

K

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 28 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.