cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards utilization question

tag
rewardsaddict86

Credit Cards utilization question

Hi, I've been reading this forum quite often now. It has educated me on all kinds of credit factors I have never knew. Thank you guys for all your help. 

I have recently had a question about my usage of credits and the way I pay my credit cards which is in PIF. I have credit limits of about $80,000. All of my cards being reward cards. I won't be getting into what I do but I do use all my credit line and pay in full maybe between 15-25 days after every months. I do track my credit scores using CreditCheckTotal.com. It all depends when I pull my credit reports but sometime it will show balances between $10,000-$60,000. And depending on how much credit cards balances I have, the credit scores varies heavily between 690-750. Credit report does says on my negative factor that I am utilizing 90% of credit which I know it is bad. How bad is it?

I definitely pay all amounts in full between 15-25 days after my credit cards being used and make sure I do not hit any interests from my credit cards. So my question is, even if I PIF on all my credit cards before 30 days, will fico scores not like what I am doing and decrease my credit score slowly every month? Or because I pay in full, will it be okay for me to continue what I am doing? 

Please share you advice and input. I will appreciate all the help. Thank you in advance. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Cards utilization question

the only way to have your utilization not report is to pay your balance to 0 before the statement cuts or pay some of it before the statement cuts to get the util. down
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 2 of 5
rewardsaddict86

Thank you for quick response. 

Having utilization being at 90%, is it negatively impacting my credit score a lot?

Message 3 of 5
frankietown
Established Member

here are my findings:

1. GENERALLY, not always, statement balance gets reported after statement cuts next day. Some card companies do it weird, but for the most part this is true.

2. Just because you pay off before its due, doesnt mean it didnt get reported that you had high utilization.

3. What people say to do is: make sure you pay ALL except ONE card before the statement cuts. Meaning on your statement it should say 0 owed and 0 due on XX/XX day.

4. On the ONE card, try to make it 1-9% of the balance. So $1000 limit on credit card? try to only show up to $90 on that card. Then after a few days when you are sure it already reported, then just pay it off.

With this strategy I employed for MONTHS after having new credit as I am a baby still, My recent app spree and approvals shown that this utilization is good! Plus it also helps you manage money better, you don't spend what you dont have and lastly you never ever pay a dime on interest!

Good luck!

AMEX BCE: $22000 | nov 2013 ### DISCOVER IT: $6500 | nov 2013
CHASE FREEDOM: $7000 | nov 2013 ### CHASE CSP: $7500 | nov 2013
us bank college: $1000 | feb 2013 ### boa partial secured: $5000 | april 2013
GARDEN TILL: 11/2013 - 3/2015 CAUSE I DONT NEED ANYTHING!
Message 4 of 5
Luscher
Valued Contributor

yes. for best results you want 1-9%. but if possible get it down near 30%. because 90% is looked at being maxed out or close to it.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.