Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards which give you highest starting credit limit from the start

tag
Networth
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Cards which give you highest starting credit limit from the start

The fact it expires after 20 years is really pathetic, if you EVER fought for our country you should be eligble to enroll. 

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 21 of 29
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@Networth wrote:

The fact it expires after 20 years is really pathetic, if you EVER fought for our country you should be eligble to enroll. 

As a veteran, I completely agree with you. If 20 years from now I wanted to join NFCU and was turned down, I would be very upset. Now, my personal beliefs are that if you personally or your parents did not serve, you should be eligible. Any military brat knows how hard it is to have a parent serving. 

You are also eligible for NFCU if you are a contractor working on a military installation. I am currently a contractor in Afghanistan and I know plenty of non-prior service that have taken advantage of that and joined while being here. 

I am proud to have earned membership as a soldier first. 

Message 22 of 29
Networth
Frequent Contributor

I am not a veteran but my dad served in Vietnam and my grandfather over in Europe during WWII, I have the upmost respect for you guys. Having heard some of their stories makes me kind of mad when I see other "game" the military credit unions but thats just my own personal opinion(one of the reasons I refuse to join, because I did not serve). Anyway thanks for your service!

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 23 of 29
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@Networth wrote:

I am not a veteran but my dad served in Vietnam and my grandfather over in Europe during WWII, I have the upmost respect for you guys. Having heard some of their stories makes me kind of mad when I see other "game" the military credit unions but thats just my own personal opinion(one of the reasons I refuse to join, because I did not serve). Anyway thanks for your service!

Than you very much. However, like I said, children who have their parents serve are serving in your own way. I have spent so many years away from my family that I know my daughter's life has changed because of it. 

I do not feel in any way that you would be "gaming" the system at all. Just go to any military installation and hear the sad stories of the soldiers chldren. The wives and children pay as well.

Message 24 of 29
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Networth wrote:

No, thats not it. It doesn't expire after 20 years. You must serve for 20 years and then after that you can join even though you are not actively serving now.

In other words, you must be currently military, or have retired after serving 20 years.

Thats how the CSR explained it to me when I called. And I had to call, since there wasn't a way to properly fill out the online application for someone who served through WWII and was then discharged after the war was over.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Real nice start with Discover It at $6K CL!
Message 26 of 29
Dustink
Valued Contributor

The family member has to be currently serving, or retired after serving for 20 years I believe. Just serving through an entire World War doesn't count apparently.

Oh I see.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 27 of 29
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Networth wrote:

I must disagree.

When a parent serves, so does the child.

Only difference is, the child didn't have a choice.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 28 of 29
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@rollerkosh wrote:
What is a good credit card which gives you a high credit limit right after you Get in

It's not just a matter of which card or which lender but your credit as well.  Both PenFed and Chase have given my $30K and $25K initial limits.

That said, as others have suggested, credit unions are likely to offer better inital limits if you're building or rebuilding.  USAA gave me good limits when I was rebuilding and didn't drop my limits or jack my APR's back in 2008.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.