Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards

tag
therealBigSmooth
Established Member

Credit Cards

I was raised in an FICO free environment and paid for everything with cash or debit until my mid 30's. Last week I closed on my first house. After reading on this forum for a for months I decided to apply for a Discover Card, Chase Freedom, Lowes(GE Money) and Jeromes Furniture(Tidewater). My EQ 682 TU 655. My credit history is solid but limited, having only 2 accounts, 1 Cap1 auto and CU revolving account and with no CC's and 1 late pay 3 years ago.  Initially all gave the we need more info or a straight denied due to 8 INQ's while shopping for a mortgage lender. Today I made the backdoor calls. Now along with my new house I have Discover 4K, Chase Freedom 2K, Lowes 500 and Jeromes Tidewater 2K. I was initially disappointed with the lower CL from Lowes, as they were my 1st call. But after all 4 were approved I could not be happier. My scores are going to skyrocket over the next year! Thanks to all who provided the information on this forum.

Opinions and feelings just get in the way of good decision making.
Me
Discover 350/4K, Chase Freedom 0/2K, Lowes 0/500, Tidewater(Jerome's Furniture 0/2K, Citi Simplicity 0/1000
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Cards

Congrats on the new home and new cards!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

+1, big congrats !!  And Lowe's is pretty good with CLIs, so I would expect that your $500CL will grow quickly.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 11
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Did you ask Lowes for a higher limit?  Call them back, tell them what you are planning to purchase and how much you need.  They may just surprise you.  Lowes is really good about raising initial CL's.

Message 4 of 11
Smug
Established Contributor

Congrats my lowes went from 1150.00 to 8k this month had it less then a year.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 5 of 11
therealBigSmooth
Established Member

I did try to get a CLI immediately on backdoor approval. They said no. I have $1500 worth of purchases to make at Lowes in the next week or so. I'm going to use my CL on every purchase, pay off same day and repeat until I have what I need. Then I am going to recon a CLI again. What do you think of this plan?

Me
Discover 350/4K, Chase Freedom 0/2K, Lowes 0/500, Tidewater(Jerome's Furniture 0/2K, Citi Simplicity 0/1000
Message 6 of 11
therealBigSmooth
Established Member

Smug, that is excellent. Did you ask for the CLI or did they just  give it to you? That may be a dumb question. What CLI did you ask for?

Me
Message 7 of 11
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@therealBigSmooth wrote:

I was raised in an FICO free environment and paid for everything with cash or debit until my mid 30's. Last week I closed on my first house. After reading on this forum for a for months I decided to apply for a Discover Card, Chase Freedom, Lowes(GE Money) and Jeromes Furniture(Tidewater). My EQ 682 TU 655. My credit history is solid but limited, having only 2 accounts, 1 Cap1 auto and CU revolving account and with no CC's and 1 late pay 3 years ago.  Initially all gave the we need more info or a straight denied due to 8 INQ's while shopping for a mortgage lender. Today I made the backdoor calls. Now along with my new house I have Discover 4K, Chase Freedom 2K, Lowes 500 and Jeromes Tidewater 2K. I was initially disappointed with the lower CL from Lowes, as they were my 1st call. But after all 4 were approved I could not be happier. My scores are going to skyrocket over the next year! Thanks to all who provided the information on this forum.

Congratulations, and welcome to the forums!

You're off to a great start; those are some nice cards. And don't worry too much about the Lowe's card. My DH started out with a $300 CL a year ago. They bumped him up to $600, then $4600, and then this month they raised him to $6500. So, with usage and good payment history, it can grow quickly. Enjoy your new house and your new cards! Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 8 of 11
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@therealBigSmooth wrote:

I did try to get a CLI immediately on backdoor approval. They said no. I have $1500 worth of purchases to make at Lowes in the next week or so. I'm going to use my CL on every purchase, pay off same day and repeat until I have what I need. Then I am going to recon a CLI again. What do you think of this plan?

If they don't recon when you call, then simply wait four months, as that's their usual schedule for CLIs. When the time for an increase comes, you'll probably get a good one.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 9 of 11
therealBigSmooth
Established Member

41 days after opening my Lowes account I called and recieved my 1st cli. Now the cl is $1000 up from $500. I simply put $1270 through the card and PIF every time I went to Lowes for the next purcahse. I plan on the same spending habits and PIF going forward and will keep posting as the card grows with me.

Me
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.