Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Closing Spree!!

tag
patsfan1453
Regular Contributor

Credit Closing Spree!!

Yea it may not be the spree we are used to seeing on these boards but I have to many credit cards. I just recently got the CSP and matching that with the freedom my needs are met. So I just closed my Cap 1 with a 750 limit (my oldest trade line), a Paypal Mastercard with a 1500 limit and a best buy rewards with a 1k limit. I am also going to close my Amex Green and BCE. I hate Amexs' rewards redemption and frankly I think their CSRs suck. I'm going to close the Citi Simplicity once the 18 month promo period is up. I want to trim down to about 5-6 cards and leave it at that. My util will probably go up 1% or so, so really not a big deal. 

Amex Everyday 6k || Chase Sapphire 5k || Buypower Card 5k || USAA Wounded Warrior Mastercard 4k || Citi TYP 4.9k|| Citi Forward 5.5k || Discover It 2k || Chase Freedom 5.5k || Walmart 1k || Chase Amazon 1k
Business: Chase ink cash 5k || AMEX Simply Cash 3.8k
Total CLs: 48.7k
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Credit Closing Spree!!

@patsfan1453 wrote:

Yea it may not be the spree we are used to seeing on these boards but I have to many credit cards. I just recently got the CSP and matching that with the freedom my needs are met. So I just closed my Cap 1 with a 750 limit (my oldest trade line), a Paypal Mastercard with a 1500 limit and a best buy rewards with a 1k limit. I am also going to close my Amex Green and BCE. I hate Amexs' rewards redemption and frankly I think their CSRs suck. I'm going to close the Citi Simplicity once the 18 month promo period is up. I want to trim down to about 5-6 cards and leave it at that. My util will probably go up 1% or so, so really not a big deal. 

I would have SD'd the Paypal and gotten 4 month CLI's on it. Smiley Indifferent

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 24
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

Same here. I closed my amazon store card and gap store card once I got the CSP.

I'm probably going to close my discover soon too. I'll close my Walmart discover card in a jiffy if they stop handing out the free TU FICO.
Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 3 of 24
Tsucchi
Established Member

I was thinking of closing my student cc which has no rewards and low limit, but it happens to be my oldest too. My aaoa is about 2 years. Having too many cards can be unnecessarily stressful to maintain I think.

BofA: Student Platinum Plus Visa: $2k; Cash Rewards Visa: $10k
Chase: Freedom MC: $10k
Amex: TE Costco: $20k; Blue (AU) $9.9k
Discover: IT: $4k
FICO EX (01/15/2014): 745; CK (2/14/2014): 710; CS (2/8/2014): 768
Message 4 of 24
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

@patsfan1453 wrote:

Hmm, I can understand closing down the Green, but BCE?? You're going to let the potential 3x CLIs go to waste?

Message 5 of 24
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous- wrote:

@patsfan1453 wrote:

Hmm, I can understand closing down the Green, but BCE?? You're going to let the potential 3x CLIs go to waste?

Credit limits can be understood in two ways. Its great for those with sufficient incomes, but for low income/college students such as myself, it is a deterrent. A higher credit limit cripples my future credit limit increases to the cards I do use and chances for new credit. That's why I close off useless cards. 

And it still stays on your report for "10 years" so there's really nothing to lose other than the utilization aspect. 

Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 6 of 24
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

Welcome to the club. I think having 5 is way too much for me. If I can't get a 5 digit CL with discover within a year. They might be the first to go.
"Wisdom is the principal thing..."
Message 7 of 24
patsfan1453
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous- wrote:

@patsfan1453 wrote:

Well here's the thing. I've been denied for a CLI about 4 times. Their reason? My 730 credit score is to low. I'm not going to bother chasing after them for credit when I have the CSP. They have to earn my business now not the other way around. I have options haha.

Amex Everyday 6k || Chase Sapphire 5k || Buypower Card 5k || USAA Wounded Warrior Mastercard 4k || Citi TYP 4.9k|| Citi Forward 5.5k || Discover It 2k || Chase Freedom 5.5k || Walmart 1k || Chase Amazon 1k
Message 8 of 24
patsfan1453
Regular Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@patsfan1453 wrote:

I would have SD'd the Paypal and gotten 4 month CLI's on it. Smiley Indifferent

Yea I'm not to worried about it. The way I see it the less credit I have the more responsible I will be with keeping my debt down. You can convince yourself a 9% util is good until you look at it and you have 5k in debt. I make 42k a year so I dont need 30k in credit lines. 

Message 9 of 24
eddie84
Valued Contributor

I closed a bunch of cards before I join this forum...  didn't know we were supposed to leave them open. lol  They were Shell, Amazon, JCP, 2x Capital Ones, Staples, Union76, Citibank, Comenity Trek card, etc.Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.