Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Counseling / Debt Management Program

tag
kd529
Valued Member

Credit Counseling / Debt Management Program

My husband & I have many credit cards that are very late.  I had him call on a few that are seriously late to ask what they can do.  The offers are not within our means.  If I had what they wanted, I wouldnt have gone late in the first place.  Can I get better luck with a credit counseling service or DMP? Can anyone recommend a trustworthy, with good results?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
uktaurusbulba
Contributor

Re: Credit Counseling / Debt Management Program

www.moneymanagement.org

I am in a dmp right now. Ive been in it since 2/08. My average interest rate on the cards is probably between 10-11% and my monthly payment is $1261 on $54k of original debt. Its now down to about $40k. It was good for me because before I did this, I was churning, just paying the high interest rates, but not bringing the principal balance down. I think there monthly charge is about $25 but the rates they got for me make it worthwhile because I will soon be out of debt completely and have my credit still intact.

Message 2 of 3
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Counseling / Debt Management Program

I finished my DMP in Dec 07.  I had about 70k of CC debt and my payments were around 1400 a month.  If you can afford the payments, DMP is a good option.  it forced me to live on a budget which I still do today.  In terms of affect on credit, since DMP I got a prime Visa card, auto loan at the best rates my CU offered and a mortgage refi at 4.0%.

I sent you a PM of the DMP compnay I used since we cant posts links to them here.

Do not use the services of a Debt Settlement company since that will ruin your credit and probably rip you off.  IMHO better to fill BK the go that route.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.