Established Member
kd529

Credit Counseling / Debt Management Program

My husband & I have many credit cards that are very late.  I had him call on a few that are seriously late to ask what they can do.  The offers are not within our means.  If I had what they wanted, I wouldnt have gone late in the first place.  Can I get better luck with a credit counseling service or DMP? Can anyone recommend a trustworthy, with good results?
Contributor
uktaurusbulba

Re: Credit Counseling / Debt Management Program

www.moneymanagement.org

I am in a dmp right now. Ive been in it since 2/08. My average interest rate on the cards is probably between 10-11% and my monthly payment is $1261 on $54k of original debt. Its now down to about $40k. It was good for me because before I did this, I was churning, just paying the high interest rates, but not bringing the principal balance down. I think there monthly charge is about $25 but the rates they got for me make it worthwhile because I will soon be out of debt completely and have my credit still intact.

Super Contributor
marty56

Re: Credit Counseling / Debt Management Program

I finished my DMP in Dec 07.  I had about 70k of CC debt and my payments were around 1400 a month.  If you can afford the payments, DMP is a good option.  it forced me to live on a budget which I still do today.  In terms of affect on credit, since DMP I got a prime Visa card, auto loan at the best rates my CU offered and a mortgage refi at 4.0%.

I sent you a PM of the DMP compnay I used since we cant posts links to them here.

Do not use the services of a Debt Settlement company since that will ruin your credit and probably rip you off.  IMHO better to fill BK the go that route.

09/12/2013 FICO: EQ: 772 EX:813 TU:752

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+