Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cut and Consolidations

tag
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Credit Cut and Consolidations

I've been cutting down on my credit and credit cards over the past year.  There are so many junk cards.  Here is the fat we've trimmed:

Amazon Store Card$2,400
Amazon/SYNCB$2,200
AmEx Blue for Business$15,000
AmEx Business Gold 
AmEx Costco$9,000
BA ?$2,000
BA AAA$15,000
Chase ?$14,500
Chase ?$12,000
Chase Freedom$5,000
Chase Marriott 2050$18,000
Chase Milleage+$5,000
Chase Southwest$5,000
CHLD/CBSD$1,500
Citi Expedia+$8,000
Citi AA$18,000
Citi Hilton$12,000
Comenity Limited$1,000
Comenity Potery Barns$1,070
Comenity Victoria Secret$1,000
Crate & Barrel (Comenity)$20,000
Discover$3,000
Gap$2,000
Paypal$5,000
Paypal Extras MasterCard$3,000
Sears$3,950
Synchrony Aamerican Eagle$1,024
Synchrony Gap$1,024
Synchrony Old Navy$1,024
Synchrony Toy R Us$1,024
TJX$1,024
Valero$2,000
Wells Fargo$18,000

Total$209,740

The cut is across the board, almost any CC banks.  We do not use those much and it is hard to keep track of those.  The high credit lines also limit our ablity to apply for new cards.

Of course we applied for several new cards last year and we try to keep it no more than 5 cards total per year.  So we can stay within Chase 5/24 limit.  2017 is another consolidation year.  

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Cut and Consolidations

Holy mackerel! You closed 26 cards? How many do you have left?

Message 2 of 11
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Holy mackerel! You closed 26 cards? How many do you have left?

35 open. Two of us. 

Message 3 of 11
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Holy mackerel!  That's too many cards!

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 4 of 11
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

The dead credit lines won't do anything.  After the cards are cancelled, they still stay in credit report and won't go away immediately.  So the AAOA is not really affected.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Once you have the main cards you need, there's no need for useless cards to be in your pocket. Some will keep them, I rather not. I am down to 9 (6 main cards and 3 backup).

Message 6 of 11
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats!

Once you have the main cards you need, there's no need for useless cards to be in your pocket. Some will keep them, I rather not. I am down to 9 (6 main cards and 3 backup).

Agreed.  We have Chase Ultimate Rewards, AmEx MR program, BA Preferred Rewards.  Then do not really need much else.  We do keep some store charge cards which still offer specialty discounts, such as Lowe's etc.

Huge credit line does not really do anything.  It is negative if you keep tons of cards and do not use.  

Message 7 of 11
driftless
Valued Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats!

Agreed.  We have Chase Ultimate Rewards, AmEx MR program, BA Preferred Rewards.  Then do not really need much else.  We do keep some store charge cards which still offer specialty discounts, such as Lowe's etc.

Huge credit line does not really do anything.  It is negative if you keep tons of cards and do not use.  

I am happy concentrating my spend on UR's & MR's.  My level of spend would be too dilluted if I added another rewards program.  

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 8 of 11
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Yes, it is just a waste of time trying to manage all the store cards and different reward programs.  There is no end....

Message 9 of 11
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

Yes, it is just a waste of time trying to manage all the store cards and different reward programs.  There is no end....

I finally reached that same conclusion and closed out my remaining five store cards over the last year, and I got rid of my one MR card.  Now I'm focused on UR, cash, and United perks.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.