cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit/Debit card questions for travelling abroad.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit/Debit card questions for travelling abroad.

I understand in Europe for unmanned kiosks people suggest having a PIN capable CC. But how necessary is a PIN for a CC when abroad?

I ask because a friend and I are hoping to visit Seoul, and maybe Tokyo next year. I have 2 no FTF cards, but no PIN on either. I don't want any issues while abroad (especially with a language barrier, though I'm trying to learn what I can). I know I should get at least one more no FTF card (preferrably MC). I'm looking at the Quicksilver, even though i have 2 cards that give 2% back. But I'm looking at the Barclays Arrival+ or Priceline card if I need PIN. And I can't justify an AF as my other cards maximize rewards how i would use them.
I plan on opening a checking account with Charles Schwab for the incredible debit card they have. I know I should also have a second debit card (the numbers are about backups in case a bank freezes the account for fraud). Does anyone know if Synchrony charges FTFs for using the debit card while abroad?
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit/Debit card questions for travelling abroad.

Most people have experienced little issue using their outdated American card overseas for face-to-face transactions; however, as you indicated, unmanned kiosks can cause delay or outright failure. This can be especially irretating if you are trying to buy rail tickets. The more off the beaten path you go, the more trouble you can have with an American card; especially with language barriers. It is a good idea to carry local currency just in case. 

You could look into the Schwab Bank Visa Debit card; it has PIN functionality (as it is debit) and has no FTF. I believe they even reimburse ATM/ABM fees. 

Another suggestion would be to join First Technical Federal Credit Union (First Tech). They are a Northern California based credit union:

https://www.firsttechfed.com/credit_cards/compare_credit_cards

First Tech is open to anybody that is a member of the Financial Fitness Association.

All First Tech MasterCards are PIN priority and carry no FTF fees. I would say this would be a great option to avoid any unnecessary hassle when traveling. First Tech does require proof of income when applying for the MasterCard and you can apply at the same time as membership to the CU. So while Arrival + has PIN functionality, it defaults to Signature and varying degrees of success at defaulting to PIN. 

Im sure others will chime in with more advice. You could also search Flyertalk forums for country specific issues with Signature priority cards. 

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in the Northeast. So can i still join and get FirstTechCU cards?
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you should not encounter any problems. LIke many other credit unions, First Tech has ways in for people that would not normally be able to join geographically. Just like someone in California can join Massachusetts-based DCU. You will need to be a member of Financial Fitness Association (I think it is $8 and you don't have to renew your membership with FFA to maintain membership with First Tech once you are a member of First Tech) in order to join First Tech, however. 

The other option for true Chip + PIN priority is the UNFCU; however, it is a lenghtly process and you have to pay for the annual fee card to avoid FTF. First Tech is a much better choice.  Full disclosure, I am not a member of either CU. 

Relevate, a moderator here, joined First Tech and opened a MasterCard with them, so you may search his profile for his postings about it. But it should be pretty straight forward. Again, to reiterate, they do request proof of income when applying, so be sure that everything matches pay stubs Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 24
csryang
Frequent Contributor

check out my other thread if you want:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/For-frugal-travelers-no-FTF-and-no-annual-fee-cards/td-...

I dont think PIN capacity or not is a huge issue in Asia but again, I have never visited Japan or Korea. Visa or MC should be fine and I will leave the rest to those with actual travel experience to Asia.

Briefly here, my recommendations for you

Credit card options:

1) Barclays Arrival Plus - since you prefer MC, no FTF, and PIN capable.The trick here is to apply for this card a couple months before your travel to Asia. After you get done with travel, you can downgrade your Arrival Plus to the no fee Arrival or product change it into another no fee Barclays card to avoid the annual fee. 

2) PenFed Power Cash - it's a visa but it has no AF, no FTF, and PIN capable. It has 2% cash back as long as you fullfill their easy condition. Its reward structure is better than Arrival Plus since you do not need to apply the cash back towards travel and the redemption threshold is also lower on Power Cash.

Debit card options:

1) Charles Schwab debit card - HARD pull to open account but no ATM fees worldwide and no FTF I believe.

2) Fidelity CMA (Cash Managment Account) debit card - soft pull to open the account. No ATM fees worldwide but it does have a 1% FTF if you use it for non-ATM transactions. I would just use this for getting cash withdrawals from foreign ATMs.

Message 5 of 24
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Most people have experienced little issue using their outdated American card overseas for face-to-face transactions; however, as you indicated, unmanned kiosks can cause delay or outright failure. This can be especially irretating if you are trying to buy rail tickets. The more off the beaten path you go, the more trouble you can have with an American card; especially with language barriers. It is a good idea to carry local currency just in case. 

You could look into the Schwab Bank Visa Debit card; it has PIN functionality (as it is debit) and has no FTF. I believe they even reimburse ATM/ABM fees. 

Another suggestion would be to join First Technical Federal Credit Union (First Tech). They are a Northern California based credit union:

https://www.firsttechfed.com/credit_cards/compare_credit_cards

First Tech is open to anybody that is a member of the Financial Fitness Association.

All First Tech MasterCards are PIN priority and carry no FTF fees. I would say this would be a great option to avoid any unnecessary hassle when traveling. First Tech does require proof of income when applying for the MasterCard and you can apply at the same time as membership to the CU. So while Arrival + has PIN functionality, it defaults to Signature and varying degrees of success at defaulting to PIN. 

Im sure others will chime in with more advice. You could also search Flyertalk forums for country specific issues with Signature priority cards. 

From my experience to Europe, I was fine with Barclays Arrival Plus which is only PIN capable. I do not think you really need a true "PIN priority" card but again, I do not know the situation in Asia.

I prefer Arrival plus or Penfed Power cash instead of First Tech cards. First Tech Odyssey and Choice rewards give 2-3 points per dollar spent but their 1 point is actually worth much less than 1 cent... so I do not think it's worth it for me.

Message 6 of 24
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@csryang wrote:

Debit card options:

1) Charles Schwab debit card - HARD pull to open account but no ATM fees worldwide and no FTF I believe.

The way I understand it, a brokerage account is required, and opening it requires a hard pull. Once the brokerage account is opened, additional accounts, e.g. IRAs or checking, won't require a pull. The debit card can be attached to any type of account: brokerage, IRA, checking, etc.

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand Charles Schwab requires a HP. I figure it is worth it for the only easy way to get cash abroad when needed.

I have to check out the Fidelity account as that might be worth it. Anyone know if they also pull the bureaus?

As for CCs, does anyone know if PenFed, FirstTech, USAA, and others require other banking relationships with them? I don't really want to do that as I'll have my money split between 3 banks (one local, Synchrony for easy high interest, and soon Charles Schwab for the debit card).
Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed does if you want 2% on their card, you need to leave $500 in a free checking account unless you are active military. Otherwise it gives 1.5% instead of 2.

Fidelity does not pull for setting up your accounts from my experience. That is the main reason i went with them over Charles Schwab.

Funny you mention Seoul and Tokyo as I'm about to go to both for a nice long vacation. Just remember smaller shops in Japan may still not accept credit cards (most places in Tokyo will but 1-off family shops might not) and i believe their metro system is still like that of Korea where fare must be paid in cash, even if you use a rechargeable fare card.
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I understand Charles Schwab requires a HP. I figure it is worth it for the only easy way to get cash abroad when needed.

I have to check out the Fidelity account as that might be worth it. Anyone know if they also pull the bureaus?

As for CCs, does anyone know if PenFed, FirstTech, USAA, and others require other banking relationships with them? I don't really want to do that as I'll have my money split between 3 banks (one local, Synchrony for easy high interest, and soon Charles Schwab for the debit card).

As with any credit union, you will need to have a Share (savings) account with them, but you may open it with the minimum required. USAA is not a credit union, but I am not sure if someone (who is eligible for their products) needs a banking/insurance relationship in order to have their card.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.