Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Junkies = Total credit lines > Total Income

tag
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Junkies = Total credit lines > Total Income

Definitely me. Haha.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 31 of 118
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I agree that if you're investing hours into spreadsheets and log ins, the rewards per hour would come out to be very low. It all comes down to how you value your time. If its a fun hobby you enjoy go for it. But there's a line where you're going too far into obsession. Its nice to get rewards but scrutinizing down to a few bucks is a little too much IMO. But you have to do what works for you and what you enjoy. You can have a good score with 2 or 3 cards. Have more if you want. I think having 20 or so is complete overkill unless your income is sky high but YMMV
Message 32 of 118
firetech593
Regular Contributor

Totally guilty here, 3x annual in cl, if I add DW, its more like 6x. We carry low util on ONE card. Plus mort n 2 car laons..

45 cards in SD

In 2011, we woildnt have been able to finance a stick of gum!

Were all here 'cuz were not all there.... Just sayin

Message 33 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wife and I are pretty much completely joint as far as accounts go. We currently have 140% of HHI in CL. Approx 16% of it is in store use only cards. Mostly because of CLIs.
Message 34 of 118
Josh611
Regular Contributor

Currently at 1.3x my income. Hopefully getting (pretty sure I will) a new job in the next couple weeks. That will drop it to 56%Smiley Happy

Current FICO Scores EQ 782,TU 755, EX 754

AMEX BCE $24k, Quicksilver $10k, Venture $13k, Sallie Mae Mastercard $8.3K Chase Freedom 5k, Discover IT $3.4k, Kohl's Charge $2.5k, Capital One Secured $801
Message 35 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope!

$3000 in total CL

$31200 in yearly income.  

Hopefully a big fat raise (or a higher paying job) will come after my IT certification, but I don't expect a raise in CLs at least the first part of the year. 

Message 36 of 118
dollar_bill
Regular Contributor

@Kostya1992 wrote:

More like smart people who build up their credit, take out a bunch of loans and credit cards with high limits, and then cash out big time and BK7 everything off. I know people who do this and are very successful, not that'd I'd do that Smiley Very Happy - too young.

I don't know if smart is the word I would use to describe the above behavior. To do something like that on purpose is simply theft, and I for one would hope the rules of BK make it more difficult to obtain the BK. Especially where large amount of $$$ are concerned.

If any of my friends did this I would probably not associate with them.

Message 37 of 118
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Count me in. Smiley Happy

Message 38 of 118
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Count me in also. My cc CLs are about 2x my income. It's not because I'm a credit junkie, though. It's because my income is low but I'm old enough for my credit to be very, very well established. Lenders know that at my age and with my history I'm not likely to suddenly go wild, run up the ccs, then split the country for a life of beachcombing.

Message 39 of 118
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Currently at 1.8X income in revolving credit.
Message 40 of 118
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.