Re: Credit Junkies = Total credit lines > Total Income

I'm at 3X income.

Message 41 of 118
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

@dollar_bill wrote:

@Kostya1992 wrote:

More like smart people who build up their credit, take out a bunch of loans and credit cards with high limits, and then cash out big time and BK7 everything off. I know people who do this and are very successful, not that'd I'd do that Smiley Very Happy - too young.

I don't know if smart is the word I would use to describe the above behavior. To do something like that on purpose is simply theft, and I for one would hope the rules of BK make it more difficult to obtain the BK. Especially where large amount of $$$ are concerned.

If any of my friends did this I would probably not associate with them.

You don't need credit to be financially healthy, many people get by without credit just fine.

The real theft here are banks buying insurance on everything and carelessly issuing credit cards/loans to subpar borrowers.

Also, if I want to buy a home for 300k and want to take out a loan for it, given that I have the best possible credit profile, how much will I end up paying?

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 42 of 118
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

Count me in also. My cc CLs are about 2x my income. It's not because I'm a credit junkie, though. It's because my income is low but I'm old enough for my credit to be very, very well established. Lenders know that at my age and with my history I'm not likely to suddenly go wild, run up the ccs, then split the country for a life of beachcombing.

LOL, I'll be that age soon enough.

Signature needs updating
Message 43 of 118
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

I didn't realize I was in such a minority here. My TCL is about 40% of my income. 70k of 175k. Can't fathom ever spending 70k on CCs, so I guess I haven't really considered trying for more.
----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 44 of 118
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

@avv7c0 wrote:
I didn't realize I was in such a minority here. My TCL is about 40% of my income. 70k of 175k. Can't fathom ever spending 70k on CCs, so I guess I haven't really considered trying for more.

How the hell does one make 175k a year? Are you some oil executive or something?

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 45 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kostya1992 wrote:

@avv7c0 wrote:

How the hell does one make 175k a year? Are you some oil executive or something?

There are parts of this country where $175K barely allows for much of a cushion at all raising a family. Even $113K HHI is a little bit of a squeeze sometimes in DFW metro. Smiley Indifferent

Message 46 of 118
EW800
Valued Contributor

I guess I am in the minority here as well, with CL being a fair amount less than income.  Income about $110K, Revolving CL about $75K

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 47 of 118
vladrad
Contributor

We are at maybe 50% of income (combined)

Citi "Diamond Preferred" (1k), Bank of America (12k), Capital One - secured (0.7k), AMEX Green - (5k), Chase Freedom (4.5k), Chase Slate (3.2k), Discover (3,75k), Chase Explorer (19k), Oldnavy (2.2k), Chase Amazon (3k), Orbitz Rewards (8k), Citi Double Cash (10,4k),
Message 48 of 118
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

No, my total CLs are lower than my income but they are high enough for my purposes.  I still try to pay off total balances before the statement hits.

Message 49 of 118
dollar_bill
Regular Contributor

@coKostya1992 wrote:

@dollar_bill wrote:

@Kostya1992 wrote:

More like smart people who build up their credit, take out a bunch of loans and credit cards with high limits, and then cash out big time and BK7 everything off. I know people who do this and are very successful, not that'd I'd do that Smiley Very Happy - too young.

I don't know if smart is the word I would use to describe the above behavior. To do something like that on purpose is simply theft, and I for one would hope the rules of BK make it more difficult to obtain the BK. Especially where large amount of $$$ are concerned.

If any of my friends did this I would probably not associate with them.

You don't need credit to be financially healthy, many people get by without credit just fine.

The real theft here are banks buying insurance on everything and carelessly issuing credit cards/loans to subpar borrowers.

Also, if I want to buy a home for 300k and want to take out a loan for it, given that I have the best possible credit profile, how much will I end up paying?

I have a problem with your entire statement. Any individual, who makes a deliberate charge on a card knowing they have no intention of paying it back is guilty of theft IMO. The banks are certainly not saints, but that doesn't give the rest of us a license to make charges we have no intention of paying back. Everyone is accountable for their actions, a premise that has lost some of it's luster in our current society.

What's your point on a mortgage? You'll pay a lot of interest on a 30 year fixed rate unless you pay extra every month. Are the banks stealing?

I think you have been misguided if you truly believe that it's ok to charge up and file BK, then claim the banks are the real criminals.

Message 50 of 118
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.