Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Junkies = Total credit lines > Total Income

tag
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Junkies = Total credit lines > Total Income

@dollar_bill

First of all I don't ever plan to and hope I never have to file a BK, I'm not saying its good either.

The point of mentioning the morgage is that you effectively become a slave to them for 30 years and pay back like 3x or more of original house value IF you have a perfect credit profile.

And banks aren't saints? These are the guys who funded and profited from endless human suffering. Countless news articles daily about massive fraud carried out by the big banks. Just look at what happened in 2008... these guys should be locked up for life with no parole.

I personally have 0 mercy for banks, especially when burned in BKs.
TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 51 of 118
dollar_bill
Regular Contributor

@Kostya1992 wrote:
@dollar_bill

First of all I don't ever plan to and hope I never have to file a BK, I'm not saying its good either.

The point of mentioning the morgage is that you effectively become a slave to them for 30 years and pay back like 3x or more of original house value IF you have a perfect credit profile.

And banks aren't saints? These are the guys who funded and profited from endless human suffering. Countless news articles daily about massive fraud carried out by the big banks. Just look at what happened in 2008... these guys should be locked up for life with no parole.

With the currents rates that are available you wouldn't even pay 2x the value, it would be like 1.5x or less. Regardless, nobody is forced to get a mortgage. To make it worse, the concept of a down payment is lost, and many folks go into a large mortgage and pay zero down, or less than 10%.  Saving up your money will really cut into the banks take as well as eliminate the need for PMI.

It starts with people owning their own actions and doing the right thing. The rest will take care of itself. 

Message 52 of 118
gh17
Frequent Contributor

I just checked.. if I include my two Comenity cards, total credit limits < salary but only by $300.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 53 of 118
gh17
Frequent Contributor

@dollar_bill wrote:

@Kostya1992 wrote:
@dollar_bill

With the currents rates that are available you wouldn't even pay 2x the value, it would be like 1.5x or less. Regardless, nobody is forced to get a mortgage. To make it worse, the concept of a down payment is lost, and many folks go into a large mortgage and pay zero down, or less than 10%.  Saving up your money will really cut into the banks take as well as eliminate the need for PMI.

It starts with people owning their own actions and doing the right thing. The rest will take care of itself. 

@if you have a low rate on the mortgage though, it's a good deal.  let's say your mortgage is at 3% and you estimate you can get 5% in the market (long term investments, this is pretty conservative).  let's say you always make your monthly mortgage payments on time and in full.  this month, you have an extra $500 to spend.  if your choices are overpay the mortgage or invest that in the stock market, you should probably invest it unless you're really risk-averse.  this is kind of the philosophy on mortgages.  even if i have say, $300k cash and can buy a house, it might make more sense to take the low rate mortgage.  then i can invest that $300k at ~5% per year but only have to pay ~3% of the earnings towards the mortgage interest, so you're earning 2% on that money.  yes you are in debt for the term of the mortgage, but that doesn't always mean that it's financially unwise.  an extreme example to illustrate the concept: if you could take out a loan @1% interest and were able to invest that money in a bank account earning 7% interest, that makes sense to do, right?  even though you're in debt, you're earning it back elsewhere.

now, if you're the type of person who realistically is not going to invest the money as an alternative to overpaying the mortgage, then the logic falls apart.  but if it's extra mortgage payment vs. extra 401k contribution, often the latter is smart.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 54 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm part of the minority as well. I make about 75k currently, might be getting a little raise next week. But my credit lines are about 39k right now. Not too shabby for 6months though. I'm really proud of how well I've adjusted to the credit savy lifestyle. Having credit makes me feel safe...honestly. There were years I was cashing in coins to pay off my moms taxes and I didn't even occur to me until last year in April I had a trifecta of perfect storms my moms taxes due, a gallbladder surgery, and an employer whom sometimes forgets to push send on the paychecks on friday. Literally, not even joking. I was in a rage blackout at that point and all I had with me as a resource for help was my $300 BoA secured credit card. And that was it. This year I hope to grow these credit lines, add a couple more that I need before it's lights out for 2016 mortagage prep year. 

Message 55 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't have to pay banks for 30yrs. Lots of people do this, but lots of people a living way out of there means too, getting a giant new house they don't need. You can do a 15yr, pay down your interest points and be paying on principle way faster. These are all choices we make. The live a certain way or not. 

Message 56 of 118
lukepwnsall
Regular Contributor

40k CLs + Car Loan. 23-25k income reported to each company. Balances are 1.7k on a us air BT card. plus 12k left on my car loan of 13..5k

TU 786 (10/23) EQ 794 (10/23) EX 773 (10/23)
Message 57 of 118
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

22k credit card total

1 auto financed with chase 24k remaining

1 auto financed with ally 15k remaining

currently 6% utilization of credit cards and 70% auto

62k income

fico scores - March 2024:
TU - 727 | EX - 732 | EQ - 736 |
TCL - 168K - UTIL - less than 1%
Message 58 of 118
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@nachoslibres wrote:

No, my total CLs are lower than my income but they are high enough for my purposes.  I still try to pay off total balances before the statement hits.

Same here.  Though my income will go up, any cards I add will actually be wants.  Ine card is closed after 3/7, util doesn't matter, even though I carry a small balance on Amex.  Haven't paid a drop in interest for 6 years, and I wanna keep it that way.

Signature needs updating
Message 59 of 118
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

About 250k in credit limits total, should be ovetr 300k by end of the year. Waiting for EX Inq's to go away.

1 auto financed with local CU 3k remaining

1 Mort with about 220k remaining

about 8% Utl

about 120k income

Scores pretty muich right at 800 across all three.

Oldest account almost 25 years

AAoA sitting at 5.5 years

24 open lines.

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 60 of 118
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.