cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Limit Decrease For Not Spending...

tag
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Limit Decrease For Not Spending...

@Andy77 wrote:

I am very very happy to report in the next month I will be paying 88k of the total 93k I am in the hole for on my cards.

If I pay off this and don't use the cards a lot, would the credit card companies CLD me ?  Does this happen ?

Now, stupid question...how do credit card issuers justify increasing limits if you, lets say have a 33k limit on a card, zero balance and you only charge and PIF 500.00 a month ?  Why would they increase your limit ?

Thank you

Yes - It can/does happen if you don't use the card for months on end. I experienced a CLD from $20k to $13k a few years back on a no AF Visa card I only used once in a 16 month time span. It is important to keep cards active (use them all at least once every 3 to 5 months). The charge(s) can be rather small - say $40 total for the month(s) you use a sock drawer the card.

Note: Allowing a no annual fee card to go inactive and remain inactive - particularly bank cards - can result in closure. A few posters have reported closure due to inactivily in a 7 to 12 month timeframe. I have not heard of that happening in fewer than 7 months.

As far as CLIs are concerned, you may not get any automatic ones but there is often an on-line option to request one. I suspect the on-line options typically look at income relative to CL - not really how much you use the card (except for "high" utilization).

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 11 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Credit Limit Decrease For Not Spending...

@Andy77 wrote:

I am very very happy to report in the next month I will be paying 88k of the total 93k I am in the hole for on my cards.

If I pay off this and don't use the cards a lot, would the credit card companies CLD me ?  Does this happen ?

Now, stupid question...how do credit card issuers justify increasing limits if you, lets say have a 33k limit on a card, zero balance and you only charge and PIF 500.00 a month ?  Why would they increase your limit ?

Thank you

I'm sure it could happen that if you don't use the card much some companies will CLD you. Barclay's, e.g., has indicated it will do that on accounts that have very little use.

But so what?

The main thing is to keep your financial house in order, not to have vast credit limits.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.