Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Limit Increase...When to ask?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Limit Increase...When to ask?!

I know it's very early for me to ask for an increase but I have had my Capital One Platinum ($300 Limit) and Chase Slate ($500) each now for ONE month. If they don't automatically give me a CLI increase, when should I ask for one? 3 months, 6 months, one year? Will they do a hard pull again once they review me for an increase?

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Limit Increase...When to ask?!

Cap One, six months and it will be a soft pull. Chase is always a hard pull.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judging by the limits you received, you barely got approved...so I would not expect a CLI right off the bat.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. Even though my scores are Good it's a little deceiving because I have not had any credit for the last 15 years. Everything was closed in good standing and now I am finally reestablishing my credit. I have a feeling if I just use these 2 cards now and pay them off every month in a year I will be getting some big time offers.

I'm pending for BOA 99/500 Secured card. That will be the 3rd and final card I will apply for until I get my scores all 750 and above.

So hard to just wait! But I must! Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I know it's very early for me to ask for an increase but I have had my Capital One Platinum ($300 Limit) and Chase Slate ($500) each now for ONE month. If they don't automatically give me a CLI increase, when should I ask for one? 3 months, 6 months, one year? Will they do a hard pull again once they review me for an increase?

Thanks. 

You're most likely in the credit steps program with Cap1. Most people have had very good luck hitting the LUV button for CLI a few weeks after their second statement cuts. Then you will get your steps increase by your 7th statement if you pay on time for 5 consecutive months.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

"You're most likely in the credit steps program with Cap1. Most people have had very good luck hitting the LUV button for CLI a few weeks after their second statement cuts. Then you will get your steps increase by your 7th statement if you pay on time for 5 consecutive months."

Donny, you were right. After you mentioned that I chatted online with a Cap1 rep and she explained to me how the Credit Step program works and confirmed for me that I am in the program. Thanks!

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anytime!
Message 7 of 8
RonM21
Valued Contributor

And in a lot of cases Chase will give you a soft pull increase automatically between 4-6 months in or so. But other than that, you'll have to always HP to get them to increase.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.