Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Limit Increase from Bank of America! and credit report update

tag
O-day
New Contributor

Credit Limit Increase from Bank of America! and credit report update

I have the Bank of America Student Platinum Plus Visa for about to and a half years. I recieved it Oct of 2008 with a $700 CL and it was my first credit card. I never recieved an increase till about November of 2010 and it was initially increased to 2500 CL. For some reason a few days later it was decreased down to 1500 CL. I called and asked why and they mentioned that since I was under the age of 21 they couldn't increase it to that much. I was bored today and decided to give them another call even though im not 21 yet. And after calling the backdoor number and talked with a very kind lady she said that I would get increased to 2500 CL again Smiley Happy i did mention that it was initially increased to that amount earlier and explained what happened and i asked if there was a limit cap on this card or a cap because of my age. So now hopefully it wont randomly drop down again Smiley Wink I attempted to get a increase from Cap One as well as HSBC reward zone mastercard, still now luck. But i was going to cancel my best buy mastercard and they offered to waive the 79 AF so i decided to keep it for another year. My credit is looking like this at the moment. 

-Bank of America Student Platinum Plus - 2500 CL - 300 balance (open 10/2008) NO AF

-Capital One 1000 CL- 0 balance (open 05/2009)

-HSBC Reward Zone Mastercard 300 CL - 0 balance (open 04/2010)

-AMEX Zync Spending checking ability up to 10K (open 07/2010)

-Helzberg Diamonds Store 2750 CL- 700 balance no interest for 18 months and got this to buy my girlfriend a ring.

-Student loan deffered balance 3500 (payments begin 08/2013)

-Student loan deffered 2100 ( paid it off as this was not subsedised and had interest building)

-Student loan deffered 3500 balance 

I am in the process in moving back with my parents to save some money as I just got accepted to the University of North Carolina and will attend in August Smiley Happy I want to atleast pay off one more student loan before I transfer. 

Just wanted to update you guy and for every one that has a Bank of America card try that backdoor number. they are really friendly and easy money. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
BoSox617
Contributor

Re: Credit Limit Increase from Bank of America! and credit report update

Congrats, O-Day!  Smiley Happy

In my experience, BoA has been great - the fact that CLIs have always been soft for me is a huge plus.  They also made a recent product change to the Cash Rewards card (retaining my original open date) very easy.  I have spoken with their credit analysts a few times over the years, and I have always been very pleased with their service - they were always very helpful.

And a very hearty congrats to your acceptance to UNC - Go Tarheels!

Check out Bullock's Bar-B-Cue in Durham when you get a chance - it's FANTASTIC!  And while you're in Durham, kick a few Pukies for me Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 11
vish1
Valued Contributor

@O-day wrote:

I have the Bank of America Student Platinum Plus Visa for about to and a half years. I recieved it Oct of 2008 with a $700 CL and it was my first credit card. I never recieved an increase till about November of 2010 and it was initially increased to 2500 CL. For some reason a few days later it was decreased down to 1500 CL. I called and asked why and they mentioned that since I was under the age of 21 they couldn't increase it to that much. I was bored today and decided to give them another call even though im not 21 yet. And after calling the backdoor number and talked with a very kind lady she said that I would get increased to 2500 CL again Smiley Happy i did mention that it was initially increased to that amount earlier and explained what happened and i asked if there was a limit cap on this card or a cap because of my age. So now hopefully it wont randomly drop down again Smiley Wink I attempted to get a increase from Cap One as well as HSBC reward zone mastercard, still now luck. But i was going to cancel my best buy mastercard and they offered to waive the 79 AF so i decided to keep it for another year. My credit is looking like this at the moment. 

-Bank of America Student Platinum Plus - 2500 CL - 300 balance (open 10/2008) NO AF

-Capital One 1000 CL- 0 balance (open 05/2009)

-HSBC Reward Zone Mastercard 300 CL - 0 balance (open 04/2010)

-AMEX Zync Spending checking ability up to 10K (open 07/2010)

-Helzberg Diamonds Store 2750 CL- 700 balance no interest for 18 months and got this to buy my girlfriend a ring.

-Student loan deffered balance 3500 (payments begin 08/2013)

-Student loan deffered 2100 ( paid it off as this was not subsedised and had interest building)

-Student loan deffered 3500 balance 

I am in the process in moving back with my parents to save some money as I just got accepted to the University of North Carolina and will attend in August Smiley Happy I want to atleast pay off one more student loan before I transfer. 

Just wanted to update you guy and for every one that has a Bank of America card try that backdoor number. they are really friendly and easy money. 

Not picking on you, but this is not easy money, this is easy debt.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 3 of 11
O-day
New Contributor

@BoSox617 thanks for your response and I will surely check that place out. Are they good with product changing and does that cash rewards card have an AF? I would love to have this card converted to a rewards card!

Message 4 of 11
O-day
New Contributor

@vish1 I understand where you are coming from but as long as you are responsible then you should be fine. But ultimately a lot of ppl get caught up in the credit card game and i am aware of that but if i ever want a mortgage or a car loan I need to start getting my CL's higher! thanks for ur input Smiley Happy 

Message 5 of 11
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

Congrats! BofA is definitely a great bank.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 6 of 11
vish1
Valued Contributor

@O-day wrote:

@vish1 I understand where you are coming from but as long as you are responsible then you should be fine. But ultimately a lot of ppl get caught up in the credit card game and i am aware of that but if i ever want a mortgage or a car loan I need to start getting my CL's higher! thanks for ur input Smiley Happy 

I am glad that you understand this. It makes me comfortable to know that you won't **bleep** up. It really hurts to see a lot of youngsters in early 20s coming out of college to realize that they have been rendered slaves to the credit card companies for the next few years coz of the ipod or watever they bought when they were freshman in college.

Appreciate you being sensible about credit unlike most other kids your age.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 7 of 11
O-day
New Contributor

@vish1 wrote:

@O-day wrote:

I am glad that you understand this. It makes me comfortable to know that you won't **bleep** up. It really hurts to see a lot of youngsters in early 20s coming out of college to realize that they have been rendered slaves to the credit card companies for the next few years coz of the ipod or watever they bought when they were freshman in college.

Appreciate you being sensible about credit unlike most other kids your age.

I surely do Appreciate it and the main reason why I have been responsible and knowledgable was this site and I am so thankful for everything on here and everyone!

Message 8 of 11
BoSox617
Contributor

@O-day wrote:

@BoSox617 thanks for your response and I will surely check that place out. Are they good with product changing and does that cash rewards card have an AF? I would love to have this card converted to a rewards card!

You are very welcome!   The BoA Cash Rewards card does not have an AF. 

One tip - cash rewards cards are most useful if you manage your statement balances wisely - if you pay ALL of your interest-bearing balances in full before statements cut, you'll really see the benefit of cash savings.  Smiley Happy

Best of luck!

Message 9 of 11
DI
Super Contributor

Why the need for a CLI when you're going back to school?  So manystudents find themselves deep in credit card and student loan debt  by the time they graduate.  They have no job to pay off the debt and have to move back home with their parents.  Spend wisely now or it'll hurt later.  Employers do check credit reports before making an offer.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.