Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Limit Increase!?

tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Limit Increase!?

A ton of excellent suggestions from everyone here.

+100 K-in-Boston
Most of us are quite envious of your situation, and it's going to look incredible to a mortgage lender!

Also, if you shop at Costco a lot, it may be worth it to get the Citi-Costco co-branded Visa card because the reward structure is 4% gas, 3% restaurant, 2% Costco and Costco.com, and 1% everything else. Just a thought if you were considering another card.

OP, you are in a great, super place and CONGRATS on your CLI successes!

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 21 of 29
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Aha, excellent. This makes sense. It's more than likely gonna be 3 years. Two more years of school and then a year to let things stabilize. Although, I'm sure mortgage companies won't like my $300k in student loans  >_<     I was browsing the student loan section too and will look more into that later.

Well that brings up another point, student loan consolidation/refinance, and home mortgages, is this a big issue to happen close to each other?

As austin said, the primary factor for you on the mortgage is going to be debt-to-income ratio since you already have excellent credit.  Are you paying on the loans now or are they being deferred?  Do you have the majority of that already or is that the total you will have by the time you finish your current degree?  Personally, I think it would be wise to refinance the student loans prior to getting the mortgage if at all possible, especially if they are private rather than federal loans.  Even a 1% difference with loans that large would mean hundreds of dollars in monthly obligations gone - that would be far more beneficial than taking a slight ding for a single new installment account.

+1 on the Costco card if that makes sense for your spend, although you would want to use your Freedom and Dividend cards for the 5% back when available for wholesale clubs in any quarter.  The sting from a new account starts to go away at 3-6 months and is pretty much gone by 2 years for most people (an exception might be you have one card that is ten years old and you were just getting a second card - that would immediately make a drastic change in your average age of accounts).

Message 22 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@austinguy907 wrote:

Having been through the mortgage process 3 times now in the last few years.....  Consolidating things to get a lower payment that shows as your minimum payment is to your advantage when going for a mortgage.  They add up your min payments for any accounts that have a balance and then deduct that from your max monthly PITI  amount that's capped at up to 40% of your income.  With my income this last go around I could have gotten a place for 550K but, with the car payment it reduced me down to a max purchase of 370K w/o extra underwriting and overides to get it done.  

Thinking ahead and planning things out though are the way to go!  Some of us didn't do that at the same stage you're in and learned it the hard way.  It's hard to say what the market will look like when you're ready to consolidate the SL's but, it can't hurt to get them under the same umbrella to simplify things for payments.  When they start looking at thing in the mortgage process they're more concerned with the prior 6-12 months of inquiries and new accounts.  Obviously consolidating SL's is a positive thing so I wouldn't worry about it too much.  

Overall you're in a pretty good place already financially.  

So is monthly income after insurance and taxes are taken out?

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Aha, excellent. This makes sense. It's more than likely gonna be 3 years. Two more years of school and then a year to let things stabilize. Although, I'm sure mortgage companies won't like my $300k in student loans  >_<     I was browsing the student loan section too and will look more into that later.

Well that brings up another point, student loan consolidation/refinance, and home mortgages, is this a big issue to happen close to each other?

As austin said, the primary factor for you on the mortgage is going to be debt-to-income ratio since you already have excellent credit.  Are you paying on the loans now or are they being deferred?  Do you have the majority of that already or is that the total you will have by the time you finish your current degree?  Personally, I think it would be wise to refinance the student loans prior to getting the mortgage if at all possible, especially if they are private rather than federal loans.  Even a 1% difference with loans that large would mean hundreds of dollars in monthly obligations gone - that would be far more beneficial than taking a slight ding for a single new installment account.

+1 on the Costco card if that makes sense for your spend, although you would want to use your Freedom and Dividend cards for the 5% back when available for wholesale clubs in any quarter.  The sting from a new account starts to go away at 3-6 months and is pretty much gone by 2 years for most people (an exception might be you have one card that is ten years old and you were just getting a second card - that would immediately make a drastic change in your average age of accounts).

The loans are being deferred. That is about the total I will be finishing with. Actually, I just calculated it, it'll be more like $265-$270k when I finish, all federal loans. I'd like to plan ahead, however, I am just not sure if or what kind of changes there will in the loan repayment environment in the next two years with the current political administration.

Message 24 of 29
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

https://www.discover.com/home-loans/articles/mortgage-101

Basically your PITI is:

Principal + Interest + Prop Taxes + Insurance = Monthly payment to mortgage company

If you put down 20% DP then you can opt out of escrow which is there for your taxes and insurance... I do this because I make more interest keeping the funds in my account rather than putting it into their account

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/mortgages/why-debt-to-income-matters-in-mortgages-1.aspx

Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

update: Citi approved me for the $10K limit on the Double Cash card. 

Also, Citi put two hard pull on my credit report...not sure why.

I didn't get a chance to do BoA, but I will update yall when I do.

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval and the 5-figure limit to go along with it!  Which 2 bureaus did they pull?  What credit scores did you have with those bureaus out of curiosity?  Was this your first Citi card?

Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the approval and the 5-figure limit to go along with it!  Which 2 bureaus did they pull?  What credit scores did you have with those bureaus out of curiosity?  Was this your first Citi card?

Thanks! They pulled from Transunion. I got two inquiries from them both on my TransUnion report. TransUnion was 801 now it's 796 after the inquiries. No I have 2 accounts (3 including the Best Buy account). This wasn't a new account but a credit limit increase request.

Message 28 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: Finally got a chance to call BoA. They increased the $4,000 limit one to $10,700 and increased the $5,500 card to $12,700

I'm thinking I might wait 6 months and see request increases again and see what happens, then combine them. Hmm....

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.