Did you mean: 

Credit Limit Increases

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Credit Limit Increases

@BlueNightStar wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
I'm really skeptical about asking for CLI's the moment the card arrives. I know that it's a popular tactic (or at least recommendation), but it sounds like a good way to get a giant asterisk next to my account from the bank's point of view.

I agree. One thing I've noticed in the last several years is that flying under the radar and appearing completely boring to the CC companies seems to be the way to go. At least for me. If I appear to be unconcerned about limits or APR, I seem to get better treatment. I always make smallish, every day purchases and PIF on my new cards. I have wondered if I would seem desparate with my current credit profile if I start asking for things too soon, whereas asking for nothing makes me seem responsible.

My HSBC MC just randomly lowered my APR last year as I was making steady payments to get the balance down. My Amazon card increased my limit by $700 and it's only 3 months old.

I meant to add that part of the reason that I don't do this is because of cold-blooded reasoning, but mostly it's because when it comes to credit, I'm chicken. Smiley Very Happy And being chicken has worked very well for me. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 31 of 48
BlueNightStar
Regular Contributor

@BlueNightStar wrote:

I'm really skeptical about asking for CLI's the moment the card arrives. I know that it's a popular tactic (or at least recommendation), but it sounds like a good way to get a giant asterisk next to my account from the bank's point of view.

I agree. One thing I've noticed in the last several years is that flying under the radar and appearing completely boring to the CC companies seems to be the way to go. At least for me. If I appear to be unconcerned about limits or APR, I seem to get better treatment. I always make smallish, every day purchases and PIF on my new cards. I have wondered if I would seem desparate with my current credit profile if I start asking for things too soon, whereas asking for nothing makes me seem responsible.

My HSBC MC just randomly lowered my APR last year as I was making steady payments to get the balance down. My Amazon card increased my limit by $700 and it's only 3 months old.

I meant to add that part of the reason that I don't do this is because of cold-blooded reasoning, but mostly it's because when it comes to credit, I'm chicken. Smiley Very Happy And being chicken has worked very well for me. Smiley Wink

Yes, I never used to be concerned about what I did with a CC until 2009 when all of mine took some form of AA against me. I am now probably slightly paranoid. Smiley Wink That was a very bad year and I'm working hard to never let myself get in that position again.

Message 32 of 48
missji
Regular Contributor

Ann Taylor - $750 to $1,110 (auto)
The Limited - $550 to $1,130 (auto)
Victoria's Secret - $500 to $620 (auto)

Too chicken to ask - I try to fly under the radar!

Gardening as of June 2020. No activity until January 2023 unless it's an auto CLI.
Starting Scores (6/30/2020): EQ 640 | EX 660 | TU 658
Current Scores (05/22/2021): EQ 678 | EX 714 | TU 689
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 33 of 48
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@missji wrote:

Very nice!! Congrats!!!

Don't be afraid to ask to CLI's!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 34 of 48
missji
Regular Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@missji wrote:

Very nice!! Congrats!!!

I asked once... CAP 1 rejected it and scarred me for life! Smiley Wink
Gardening as of June 2020. No activity until January 2023 unless it's an auto CLI.

Message 35 of 48
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@missji wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@missji wrote:

Very nice!! Congrats!!!

Shake that one off everybody gets the no treatment on that one Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 36 of 48
missji
Regular Contributor

Smiley Very Happy

@LS2982 wrote:

@missji wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@missji wrote:

Very nice!! Congrats!!!

Shake that one off everybody gets the no treatment on that one Smiley Very Happy

Message 37 of 48
lurk2mem1
Valued Member

Amazon Store card $120 to $400 (I know..it's embarrasing)

CU Premium Visa $9k to $11k

Did not have to do a soft or hard pull. I had the bank use a previous auto loan application which I was approved for. Since 30 days didn't elapse since the auto approval, the previous credit hard pull was still good. EX 691.. 

Credit Cards

Store Cards
i
Message 38 of 48
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@BlueNightStar wrote:

@BlueNightStar wrote:

Yes, I never used to be concerned about what I did with a CC until 2009 when all of mine took some form of AA against me. I am now probably slightly paranoid. Smiley Wink That was a very bad year and I'm working hard to never let myself get in that position again.

Sorry to hear Smiley Sad

Do you have any GE accounts?? They seem to be cool about CLI's. every 4 months.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 39 of 48
TheBronxBomber
Regular Contributor

CITI AAdvantage Platinum World MasterCard $10,500 to $20,500 03/11/12 - Online request (hard pull)

Current myFICO Scores:03/08/12 EQ: 801 • TU: 801 • Bank of America TU FICO: 822 • Credit Karma Vantage: 873

My Wallet: Amex Business Platinum | Amex SPG (5k) | Amex Delta Reserve (33k) | Citi ThankYou Premier World MasterCard (26k) | Chase Mileage Club Visa Signature (15k)
Sock Drawer: Barclay Ring MasterCard (10k) | Discover More (6.5k) | CapitalOne VentureOne (4.5k) | Macy's | Amex Platinum Personal
Message 40 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.