Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Limit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Limit

Is it possible that my credit card company will lower my credit limit? I have 10,000 credit limit and every month I have a balance of 50 so not even 1% dept to credit ratio in other word I use it for a very small amount only and I'm doing it for 5 months already. Thanks
Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Credit Limit

And alternatively, they can lower it because they feel you're using too much of your limit! Smiley Very Happy

Banks are having to reduce the amount of extended credit on their books, so they're doing CLD's with amazingly random reasons.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anything is possible, many card companies are reducing credit limits because "you arent using much of your available limit".  If you can tell us who your credit card is through we can tell you how likely it is you might see your limit drop.
Message 2 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

And alternatively, they can lower it because they feel you're using too much of your limit! Smiley Very Happy

Banks are having to reduce the amount of extended credit on their books, so they're doing CLD's with amazingly random reasons.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks right now its wamu but on march it will become chase. on the bad side if they lower my credit limit I have a high balance of 7,000 so if they drop it to 5,000 or something it will look like I over the limit is it correct?
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, but underwriters understand what happened, your not going to go 2K over the limit and still have the account open =P  I dont know if chase will CLD you, you might see an APR jump though.
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks a lot, I'm planning to close it before they lower my limit coz I don't want to have that situation.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Woah now I wouldnt do that!  Your not going to sell your car because it might break down are ya?  Were in bad times right now and no one is immune from AA for no apparant reason, but the times will change and I think many will get there limits back..  might be a few years though!
Message 7 of 15
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

How is closing your account better than the potential for a CLD?  I would not close out the account without a very good reason--and IMO the possibility of a CLD is not a good reason.

@Anonymous wrote:
thanks a lot, I'm planning to close it before they lower my limit coz I don't want to have that situation.

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thaks.. but what are the negative effect if i close that account besides my dept to credit ratio will not be affected

because I dont have any dept to my other credit cards? Thanks a lot really help

Message 9 of 15
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

I am going to assume that there are other reasons you want to close this account. Is there some reason you want to close this account (other than the potential for a CLD)?

If you do not have credit card debt then a CLD is not going to hurt you credit score (or debt to credit ratio). Before closing a credit card be sure you read the first post in "closing credit cards". The thread may be found in the commonly requested threads post at the top of the main page.

@Anonymous wrote:

Thaks.. but what are the negative effect if i close that account besides my dept to credit ratio will not be affected

because I dont have any dept to my other credit cards? Thanks a lot really help

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.