Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Line Increases

tag
doood71
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit Line Increases

@JayRizzo wrote:

Woooooo!  Doood71, now I know someone with a Venture card limit of $15,000  Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!! Congrats!

Heh, Thanks!

---Hey Avv7, did they give you the promotional 10,000 bonus points already for spending 1,000?

2/15/2011 TU: 773 ~ EQ: 780
8/15/2011 TU: 766 ~ EQ: 783 ~ EX: 753 (psecu)
Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

I am wondering about how to go about asking for a credit line increase.  I have two cards, both of which I got last June.  One is Cap One, the other Orchard.  Each currently has a limit of $500.  I have had no lates or anything negative on either account.  I have carried high balances, but have paid them off.  I am interested in an increase to enhance my credit profile.  I am wondering how often this typically happens.  How should I go about asking them? 

Hi eaglesFan2006!

I'd suggest, given that your Cap1 & Orchard account are less than 1 year old, that you hold off on any requests for increased credit from the current lenders, and any requests for new credit accounts. In the meantime, while you wait for the 1st birthdays of your new accounts, you can work on cleaning up any baddies if you have any. If not, just bide your time. *Time* is what helps credit profiles the most. If you have clean reports, and you reach a year, you'll probably see a decent score boost with some young, but solid history behind you. I'd then suggest that you go after a credit union card that might offer you a significantly higher limit than you might otherwise be offered, considering your current limits (which some/a lot of lenders take into account).

You don't want to rack up a trail of builder cards that you're later going to regret and be annoyed with. The builder cards are great for getting your foot in the door, and getting some history under your belt, especially if you've had some derogs in the past, but people tend to 'outgrow' them pretty quickly, and the low limit, high APRs get really old, really fast. And, it can become more difficult to obtain prime products, with decent limits, with too many builder products, with low limits.

I say, hold on to what you've got for the 5 to 6 months that it'll take to reach a year. Focus on saving $$$, and cleaning up any baddies that might be lingering. The time will fly! Then, it'll be time for a strategic credit card app. Target a CU that will most likely break through the low limit ceiling for you. Give that some time to grow, 6 to 12 months, then start looking at getting rid of of Orchard & Cap1, to be replaced with products that are exactly (or as exact as we can get these days, LOL) what you want.

That's my $.02

Message 22 of 26
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

Yes, I checked and you're right. Posted after day 2 Smiley Happy
----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 23 of 26
vish1
Valued Contributor

@JasonBourneOfCredit wrote:

@vish1 wrote:

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

Thanks for the tips so far.  I realize these cards aren't the best.  However, I do want to continue to boost credit.  Is there a good time frame where I should pursue another credit card?  Would a year of solid payments be enough?

This is chicken and egg, you have low limits no one will give you good limits easily... So?

This is what I would do:

Add a GEMB store card say JCP/GEMB. They will probably start you with low CL 300-500 but they are good at giving CLs (till you get to abt 1.5-2k).

Keep asking GEMB for CLs every 3 months and while you hit about 15 months mark (from june 10), your highest CL will be JCP with about 1.5 k and that will be the point where you should be able to get a good prime card like chase freedom etc with a good limit.

What about a Wal Mart card instead of JCPenney? Its just that I never go to JCP. Wouldnt the WalMart version still get the same kind of CLI's??

thanks

EDIT: Also, "EaglesFan", I am in the exact same boat. Orchard and Cap1 with low limits. Both are fairly new. Let me know if you get increases and how you did it!

thanks man

Sure walmart will be good too.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

I am wondering about how to go about asking for a credit line increase.  I have two cards, both of which I got last June.  One is Cap One, the other Orchard.  Each currently has a limit of $500.  I have had no lates or anything negative on either account.  I have carried high balances, but have paid them off.  I am interested in an increase to enhance my credit profile.  I am wondering how often this typically happens.  How should I go about asking them?

Both CapOne and Orchard doesn't/rarely do customer requested limit increase.

Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

Hi eaglesFan2006!

I'd suggest, given that your Cap1 & Orchard account are less than 1 year old, that you hold off on any requests for increased credit from the current lenders, and any requests for new credit accounts. In the meantime, while you wait for the 1st birthdays of your new accounts, you can work on cleaning up any baddies if you have any. If not, just bide your time. *Time* is what helps credit profiles the most. If you have clean reports, and you reach a year, you'll probably see a decent score boost with some young, but solid history behind you. I'd then suggest that you go after a credit union card that might offer you a significantly higher limit than you might otherwise be offered, considering your current limits (which some/a lot of lenders take into account).

You don't want to rack up a trail of builder cards that you're later going to regret and be annoyed with. The builder cards are great for getting your foot in the door, and getting some history under your belt, especially if you've had some derogs in the past, but people tend to 'outgrow' them pretty quickly, and the low limit, high APRs get really old, really fast. And, it can become more difficult to obtain prime products, with decent limits, with too many builder products, with low limits.

I say, hold on to what you've got for the 5 to 6 months that it'll take to reach a year. Focus on saving $$$, and cleaning up any baddies that might be lingering. The time will fly! Then, it'll be time for a strategic credit card app. Target a CU that will most likely break through the low limit ceiling for you. Give that some time to grow, 6 to 12 months, then start looking at getting rid of of Orchard & Cap1, to be replaced with products that are exactly (or as exact as we can get these days, LOL) what you want.

That's my $.02

Totally agree with LilMirth.

EaglesFan, remember that increased CL's will not give you a FICO score boost. 

The only way they improve your FICO is if they change utilization, and they would have to be significant increases to significantly impact your utilization.  The very best way to reduce utilization is to pay it down, if at all possible.  What's your current utilization - is it an issue?  For FICO scores, the best strategy seems to be to have one account report zero balance and the other report a very small (less than 9%) balance.  You'll see FICO respond favorably to that.  And remember, they look at number of accounts reporting a balance as well, so if you're currently reporting a balance on both cards, you'll see an increase when you only report a balance on one.

Opening a new card, no matter what the CL, is unlikely to grow your FICO.  And remember that FICO does not care one iota what your CL is.

After you put a little age on your current cards, and have rebuilt your credit as much as you can, it will be a good time to look at app'ing for a new card.  Think of your next app kinda like a reward for good behavior.

If you haven't already, pull your FICO score here and look at the items that are "Helping Your FICO Score" and "Hurting Your FICO Score".  Working on the items listed under Hurting Your FICO Score will best position you for the type of card you would like to have.

Best wishes!

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.