Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One Bank Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit One Bank Credit Card

Does anyone have any information about Credit One Bank Credit Cards? I do realize they have higher fees, but I am rebuilding credit and I only have a secured credit card at the moment. The fees could possible be worth it if it shows good credit history by using their credit card responsibly.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit One Bank Credit Card

My reasoning is based on how long do you think it will take you to rebuild. There are low fee no af secured cards. You basically need 3 cards for rebuilding. Credit one fees are roughly 100 a year. If you think rebuilding 2 years or more, then probably better to put aside 200 in secured card.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 21
tboy1977
Regular Contributor

credit one was first national bank of marin.  their cards are one step above first premier.  because of the negative press they r trying to act like capital one with the credit one name, but a quick check of fees and you'll see.  my advice is NO!!!!!

Starting scores: EQ 420, EX 421, TU 405 (Jan 2011)
Bk Ch 7 Discharged Mar 2011
Current scores: Julty 2019: TU - 655, EX - 619, EQ - 640
FICO Dream Scores: EQ 700+, EX 700+, TU 700+

Credit accounts: 22% APR auto loan (Mar 2017), Secured [Coke (4000), Discover (1000)], Unsecured [CreditOne $1500, Walmart $150, Target $200], World Finance: $1500, Courtesy Finance: $700, Speedy Finance: $1200 (charged-off)
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have one secured capital one card now and I've been reading that 3 cards is key. I'm just not sure where to turn for the remaining two. My husband has great credit and we are wanting to purchase a new home about a year from now. So I'm hoping it would be a short term card. Something to boost my credit while establishing a good history.

Message 4 of 21
tboy1977
Regular Contributor

go to your local credit union and get one one of their cards.  go CapOne secured.  Go PNC secured  (must enter a branch) but please stay away from Credit One.  you want a credit card with at least $2k behind it and a company that issues prime cards as well.  that way, no one can read your report and say........he/she had bad credit.  aoply for target, walmart or a gas card (stay away from citibank cards

Starting scores: EQ 420, EX 421, TU 405 (Jan 2011)
Bk Ch 7 Discharged Mar 2011
Current scores: Julty 2019: TU - 655, EX - 619, EQ - 640
FICO Dream Scores: EQ 700+, EX 700+, TU 700+

Credit accounts: 22% APR auto loan (Mar 2017), Secured [Coke (4000), Discover (1000)], Unsecured [CreditOne $1500, Walmart $150, Target $200], World Finance: $1500, Courtesy Finance: $700, Speedy Finance: $1200 (charged-off)
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I'll try a local credit union.

I just seem to be stuck in a rut. My scores increased a lot between March and early June, now they seem to stay the same. I know my scores are too low for a normal credit card at this point in time. But I'm trying everything to get where I need to be.

Message 6 of 21
skyisthelimit
New Contributor

hopefull...be put as a AU on your husband's c.c.'s...if this is possible.  This should solve the issue, just make sure if you are app'ing do it before the 1 year mark prior to the time you will be looking to land the loan.  Also your score will see a nice bump after you get your house!

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been an AU on 3 of my husbands CC's for almost a year now. My score didn't really move at all because of it (not that I saw). The three I'm on are his cards that have been open the longest and have very low utilization rates (about 5%). I have been told an installment loan would help but the only way I can get one is if it's secured, which I'm working on saving money for this. Or if it's with a co applicant, which I've been told will not help me as much as it would if it were solely in my name.

Message 8 of 21
skyisthelimit
New Contributor

You won't see to big of a jump in your score for the 2 additonal lines (maybe 5-20 points after the INQ drops).  Do you know what baddies and all the App's you have done in the past 2 years?  The score increase varies due to the wide variety of profiles and no one 100% knowing the score model (does fico even know????).

Message 9 of 21
skyisthelimit
New Contributor

Installment loan can help by showing a differnt line of credit, similar to a mortgage.  A car financed in your name would be the same thing, so if you do already have a car in your name; this wouldn't change...and more then 3 (active) can actually start affecting your credit.  I would shoot to get maybe a $500-$1000 secured loan for 1 year.  GL on your journey to PRIME land, please stay away from the sharks.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.