cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One Bank

tag
Whatscanada

Credit One Bank

In December 2012 I received a preapproval for Credit One Bank. I am rebuilding and opened the card and have used a few times and then paid off. I saw on CK that they (Card) increased my limit as of today,1/14/13 and I was wondering if anyone had experience with this card and limit increases. At what point would I be able to see a jump, if any, in my scores? Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit One Bank

All I read on here is RUN as fast as you can from this lender, they are like First Premier. High fees and will not grow

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Whatscanada wrote:

In December 2012 I received a preapproval for Credit One Bank. I am rebuilding and opened the card and have used a few times and then paid off. I saw on CK that they (Card) increased my limit as of today,1/14/13 and I was wondering if anyone had experience with this card and limit increases. At what point would I be able to see a jump, if any, in my scores? Thanks.

Depends what else you have in your credit report; is this your only credit card?  

I don't know much about the lender other than they keep spamming me with pre-approval letters that get tossed into the recycling bin after looking at their fee structure.  That said, if you need the tradeline and happen to have a ~600 or lower FICO without money for a secured card deposit, it's likely not a bad option all things considered but it's not a long-term card unless the AF is utterly irrelevant to you.

        
Message 3 of 7
Whatscanada

Revelate, thanks for your reply. I have a cap one card (secured) as well and mistakenly opened the Credit One card thinking it was cap one( i know), which I read has been done by others due to their deceptively similar logos. At any rate, I have paid the fee and would like to use it to boost my scores short-term. I also plan to open a card at my local credit union, of which I am already a member.

Message 4 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Whatscanada wrote:

Revelate, thanks for your reply. I have a cap one card (secured) as well and mistakenly opened the Credit One card thinking it was cap one( i know), which I read has been done by others due to their deceptively similar logos. At any rate, I have paid the fee and would like to use it to boost my scores short-term. I also plan to open a card at my local credit union, of which I am already a member.

Your second card is likely a small bump immediately just from the mix of credit function in FICO's algorithm.  AFAIK the Credit One card reports to all three bureaus, and if you've paid the fee, just use it and go on with life.

Your third card may be a small negative short-term (like 2-3 months) but from the six month onward in my estimation is nothing but goodness when your file is on the thin side. I think you have a good plan opening it up with your local CU, and is nearly identical to what I did actually other than changing some lender names around.  Only other option I might suggest would be a BOFA secured card, which is a very, very good everyday card with the 1-2-3 rewards package which can be added and does graduate.

There's no need for more than 3 cards though, and at this stage of the game really any three that report to the bureaus will do from a pure FICO standpoint.

        
Message 5 of 7
akabigo
Contributor

I've had a Credit One account since 06. My credit is pretty good now at 800 or above but it wasnt back then. I keep saying that I'm going to close it every month but I dont. They report to all 3 bureau's but you'll have to pay cli fees for it to continue to grow. Just keep an eye on them since there is no grace period on purchases and once you're in a good place, get rid of them. Some think others won't give you credit with these guys on your report but I have a chase, boa, citi and discover to prove some of that to be ymmv. I'm sure I'll close mine very soon. Not doing me much good with a $1500 CL

Good Luck
Fico scores 800+
Message 6 of 7
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I love going to their website to see if I would be preapproved for a card from them and then laughing at their fee structure.  I know they would love it if I got a card with them!  When you get the chance to dump that card, do so.  Get a Walmart card if nothing else, as it will one day graduate to a Discover card.  While it is not a true Discover card, it reports well and you get a free credit score every month, a FICO score.  Other than the gas promotions they have, this is definitely one good reason to have a Walmart card!  It will certainly help you know when it is a better time to choose the next card!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.