Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One CLI. This is just rich.

tag
lithium78
Established Contributor

Credit One CLI. This is just rich.

Credit One sent me an email today offering me a $100 credit line increase for a fee of $19.95.  Wow.  Just, WOW.  Nickel and diming much?  I guess they are trying to make back the revenue they lost when they couldn't charge people for online payments anymore (not that I paid online when they did.)  I can't wait to dump this garbage card.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Iincognito
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit One CLI. This is just rich.

@lithium78 wrote:

Credit One sent me an email today offering me a $100 credit line increase for a fee of $19.95.  Wow.  Just, WOW.  Nickel and diming much?  I guess they are trying to make back the revenue they lost when they couldn't charge people for online payments anymore (not that I paid online when they did.)  I can't wait to dump this garbage card.

I guess it's their way of hedging against a possible loss -- holding you responsible for ~20%. Wow indeed!

Message 2 of 8
score_building
Senior Contributor

Unfortunately charging for CLI has been a common approach for these type of credit issuers for quite a while.  

Glad to hear that it's on the chopping block!

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 8
bigman023
Frequent Contributor

I got that same offer. With Credit One, I always decline those offers, and so far, they have always given me a portion of the offered increase, at no charge.

5/2009 EQ-504(FICO), TU98-567(FICO), EX- 503 (FAKO)
10/17/11 EQ-633, TU04-652, EX-681 All lender Pulls
10/17/11 TU98-678
12/21/2012 TU98-677 (39% Util)
01/21/2012 EQ - 661 (37% Util) SW Alert
Message 4 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Sometimes this really gets to me but then I think about my Target card or Best Buy MC and you know if I could get regular CLI (every 6 months with Credit One) I probably would pay for it until I could get MUCH better cards.

Message 5 of 8
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

wow. i would have dumped it already if i were you. any credit card that i currently carry would instantly get the axe the moment i logged into my account just to discover that they were going to charge me for online payments.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 6 of 8
lithium78
Established Contributor

The Credit One card helped me out when my credit was really, really poor and I couldn't get any other cards, but now I have a BoA Cash Rewards card and a Discover More card, so the Credit One card has been sock drawered.  I'll cancel it once I get my utilization zeroed out on my other cards.  It just doesn't make sense to hold onto a card that costs me nearly $120 in fees per year and charges for CLI while offering absolutely no rewards.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@lithium78 wrote:

It just doesn't make sense to hold onto a card that costs me nearly $120 in fees per year and charges for CLI while offering absolutely no rewards.

I AGREE! is it closed already???

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.