Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One Close Story

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit One Close Story

Close the account you already got good cards. They are for rebuilders and even though you still are rebuilding, you are past the point to have to pay for a card. I used to have them no problems when I first started building my credit but as soon as I got another good no annual fee card I closed that sucker.
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

See that others have already answered...I'm only reiterating what's been said here and in ALL the Credit One posts..

JUST CLOSE THE CARD !! Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 21
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Sadly, CreditOne treats me better than Cap1 and Chase.

I'm no fan of Credit1, but at least they are giving me regular CLI's.

My Chase Freedom had been stuck at the $500 SL.

My 3yo secured Cap1 won't unsecure and my 3yo QS1 won't allow me to go past an $850 limit or get a no-af upgrade.

I sound like a broken record, but people should also know that places like Cap1 and Chase do not always grow.

YMMV.
Message 13 of 21
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Credit One tried to tell me that if I closed the card before it was 1 years old it wouldn't get reported to the CRA's and that all CCC's were the same way because it was the law. Ummm, no it isn't. The CSR didn't know what to say when I told him the card had been reporting every month since opening it. I wasn't worried about to the account getting removed from the reports because it was only 1 month older than the next card.
Message 14 of 21
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

With Cap-1 and AmEx you have no need (if that's even possible) to have Credit One - Congrats on the closure !

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, Bbyb, I was dead set on keeping my Credit One card for the whole 12 months, but closed it after 8 and haven't looked back. They are still sending me emails letting me know that I am missing out and need to come back. But have they changed my terms and fees? NO, they haven't! 

Just close it, you will not regret it! Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey, Bbyb, I was dead set on keeping my Credit One card for the whole 12 months, but closed it after 8 and haven't looked back. They are still sending me emails letting me know that I am missing out and need to come back. But have they changed my terms and fees? NO, they haven't! 

Just close it, you will not regret it! Smiley Happy

Just wanted to post on an existing thread that I just CLOSED my account with Credit One Smiley Very Happy I am at 8 months as well. Thank goodness they're gone! I have only one card left with an annual fee (Merrick), but I'm going to go ahead and keep it for a little while.

Message 17 of 21
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Brickbybrick wrote:
So I just got off the call with Credit One to close it. She informed me that she was looking out for me and that I should keep my account open for a year and would credit me back money as well. Is she right, did I make a mistake closing the account prior to a year?

Brick..

Don't take the bait!... Credit None has realized youve moved onto greener pastures and you have no need or use for them so they are trying to cling onto you to get you to stay... Youve rebuilt beyond them.... Let them go..... Your better off without them.....Next would be Merrick...  I don't remember if the fee is monthly or yearly.... Either way... id consider giving them their walking papers shortly and def before any fee is due ....

Congratulations for kicking a predatory subprime lender to the curb...

-J

Message 18 of 21
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

I am just wondering how they would react if you took them up on their offer of the credits and then after the credits cycled you called back and canceled?

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 19 of 21
TaterDawg
New Contributor

I don't think they'd care.  After all, it's just a credit they're offering. OP would still have to keep spending to get the credit back, and in the meantime CreditOne will just start charging interest as soon as the new charges are made. All they need is for suckers to keep the card open and to use it.

As of 12/11/2023: FICO8- EQ- 828, TU-820, EX-810 - FICO9- EQ- 853, TU- 851, EX- 820 - FICO10- EQ- 822, TU-815, EX-787

* DCU Platinum $10K * USAA Rewards Sig Visa $18k * Chase Amazon Rewards Visa $7k * Kohls $3k * Amazon Store $10k * Citi DC $5.8k * Discover IT $5.8k * AmEx EveryDay $4.1k * Chase Freedom $3k * CapOne WEMC $10k * Barclay Cashforward $6.9k * Citi Premier $3.6k * USAA AmEx Cashback Rewards $18k * BoA Platinum Plus $15k * USBank Kroger 1-2-3 $10.5k * Amex Hilton Honors $8.7k * PenFed Platinum Rewards $10k * PayPal Credit $5.3k * NFCU GoRewards $18.6k * Walmart MC $10k * AMEX BCP $5K * 5/3 Bank Truly Simple $4.5k * AMEX Gold* CapOne Venture $10K* Chase Southwest RR $7.9k* Citi Costco $7k* Sam's Club MC $10k*
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.