Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One Closed

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit One Closed

@QueenofReinvention wrote:

Whenever I close a card, I send a short letter with: my name, credit account # and just say I'd like to close this card. I send it regular mail with return receipt requested. Somebody has to sign for that and they send the card back to you in the mail, so you have record or, you can send certified mail too.  I retain a copy of the letter, and attach the signed returned receipt card when it comes back in the mail. Also, I make sure the card is already paid off; although, one time I did send a certified check with the letter to pay off an account, and I had no problems. All the accounts were closed as requested within about 10-15 days that I send the letters. I just like to have records of stuff, versus just calling on the phone.

What is the purpose of doing this? The company can send you a letter confirming the account was closed if you've called them to close it.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 11 of 17
QueenofReinvention
Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

@QueenofReinvention wrote:

Whenever I close a card, I send a short letter with: my name, credit account # and just say I'd like to close this card. I send it regular mail with return receipt requested. Somebody has to sign for that and they send the card back to you in the mail, so you have record or, you can send certified mail too.  I retain a copy of the letter, and attach the signed returned receipt card when it comes back in the mail. Also, I make sure the card is already paid off; although, one time I did send a certified check with the letter to pay off an account, and I had no problems. All the accounts were closed as requested within about 10-15 days that I send the letters. I just like to have records of stuff, versus just calling on the phone.

What is the purpose of doing this? The company can send you a letter confirming the account was closed if you've called them to close it.

That's just the way I've done it in the past. I haven't closed anything in a long time. Whatever is easiest and provides peace of mind to the individual is what they should do. Definitely not saying the way I've done in the past is the best.

Message 12 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, I (well, we) closed Credit One x2 for both DW and I. It went seamlessly well and I didn't have any issues. To be safe, we PIF early into the billing cycle. Once we confirmed the balance was $0 online, then we called. They had the EXACT same script both times and it was either this CC or another we got transferred to a retention department. In any case, we were offered a no-fee alternative for 6 months IIRC. We both countered with no fees forever, a lowered APR, and a CLI. They said no way and cancelled on us. Painless and easy. I hardly shed a tear. The following statement came and there were no charges or fees and the balance remained at $0.

As an FYI, after you close the CC, you can still log into your account and see the history and so forth. I found it interesting in my and DW's case that the available balance still showed months after TL closure. It kinda spooked us, but the report reflected a closed TL.

Message 13 of 17
shakalaka
Established Contributor

I closed mine over the fon. PIF first and once the payment is applied to your account call them. I called back couple of days later to request the immediate payout of my deposit and had it 3 days later.

If you have a balance on the card and close it, the deposit will be applied against the balance and the payout can take up to 90 days. So be sure to PIF before cancelling the card.

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 14 of 17
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@llecs wrote:

OP, I (well, we) closed Credit One x2 for both DW and I. It went seamlessly well and I didn't have any issues. To be safe, we PIF early into the billing cycle. Once we confirmed the balance was $0 online, then we called. They had the EXACT same script both times and it was either this CC or another we got transferred to a retention department. In any case, we were offered a no-fee alternative for 6 months IIRC. We both countered with no fees forever, a lowered APR, and a CLI. They said no way and cancelled on us. Painless and easy. I hardly shed a tear. The following statement came and there were no charges or fees and the balance remained at $0.

As an FYI, after you close the CC, you can still log into your account and see the history and so forth. I found it interesting in my and DW's case that the available balance still showed months after TL closure. It kinda spooked us, but the report reflected a closed TL.

I sign up in June 2011. Already paid membership. Interesting thing i found that they dont report to credit bureau if my account show no balance.

Should i used it once and then decide to closed it somewhere in MARch or June before the AF kick in.

I start rebuild my credit last year and that's one of the card come with insane fees/ . ;-(

Should i closed it now ???

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 15 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@nicholasyud wrote:

@llecs wrote:

I sign up in June 2011. Already paid membership. Interesting thing i found that they dont report to credit bureau if my account show no balance.

Should i used it once and then decide to closed it somewhere in MARch or June before the AF kick in.

I start rebuild my credit last year and that's one of the card come with insane fees/ . ;-(

Should i closed it now ???

DW and I had it before the CC Reform law was enacted. We were charged about $8-$10/mo IIRC, plus the monthly fees just to pay it online. I was eager to close both. It helped when starting out but the CC had to go. IMO, if you PIF and can get it to report that, then I'd close it ASAP.

Message 16 of 17
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

i didnt used it for the last 2 months and they dont even report like OK status on those 2 months recently. I might used like 1 dollars or 2 then make them report.

Is that really worth it to do that ??

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.