Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One MC preapproval!!!

tag
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

Credit One MC preapproval!!!

Wow!  Got a preapproval offer from Credit One for a $500 mastercard.  I'm not sure what I should do? Smiley Wink

For my current Credit One visa card that has zero balance I really would like to cancel it.  It's one of my oldest credit card lines though so I still pay the 8.27 a month to keep it reporting.  Even though I know if I close it still will report for 10 years and calc against my AAoA.  I have a Merrick Bank in the same boat.

Anyone just take the plunge and close these subprime builders once they began getter better cards?

BTW - I ripped up the preapproval offer and trashed it.  Credit One has served it's purpose though. 

Thanks for letting me vent. -Barry

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit One MC preapproval!!!

Yep..

Message 2 of 9
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

That is totally up to you my friend the thing about thinking of it like that is its always gonna be your oldest acct until you stop aging it.. The only way to do that is to close it and leave it to the next in line to become your oldest... Looking at your siggy you've outgrown credit one and merrick ... I'd just close it and give my other cards the chance to take the lead... I recently did that myself with my secured card by First Progress.... They are meant to start you out to help building then another must take there place....Is how i thought of it..Hope this helps...
CH7 Filed (3/29/17) - 483 EX 516 EQ 517 TU Discharged (5/31/17) - 559 EX 538 EQ 501 TU Current (1/18/22) - 690 EX 683 EQ 671 TU
Current Cards

Message 3 of 9
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

@shaun2009 wrote:
That is totally up to you my friend the thing about thinking of it like that is its always gonna be your oldest acct until you stop aging it.. The only way to do that is to close it and leave it to the next in line to become your oldest... Looking at your siggy you've outgrown credit one and merrick ... I'd just close it and give my other cards the chance to take the lead... I recently did that myself with my secured card by First Progress.... They are meant to start you out to help building then another must take there place....Is how i thought of it..Hope this helps...

+1. I definitely would close those two accounts. Your credit is now good enough to let those accounts go.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 4 of 9
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I never got stuck with a Credit One, but I still have my Orchard (QuickSilver One) till the end of the year.  It will close right before the AF hits in December.

I held on to my Merrick for as long as I could for the "free" FICO score but did eventually close it.

Message 5 of 9
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

Thanks All for the real time feedback!  Keep the experience sharing coming! -Barry

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Message 6 of 9
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

I got one of these per approvals last night for $1500 @ 23.9% no enrollment fee no over the limit fee (most likely because they wouldn't allow it lol) not as bad as I am used to seeing.

If it only grew and didn't have a monthly fee..
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 7 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@emptypockets wrote:

@shaun2009 wrote:

+1. I definitely would close those two accounts. Your credit is now good enough to let those accounts go.

+1  $8.27 a month is WAY too much to pay to keep an account going, especially as you know the 10 year thing.  In another 10 years your credit situation will (probably) be very different, with a lot more lines (open and closed) so that additional age will count for very little.

Message 8 of 9
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

Thanks for the positive energy everyone!   I have closed both accounts with extreme predjudice.

Smiley Very Happy

Feels really good to not be chasing these small payments each month! -Barry

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.