Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One Scare

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit One Scare

Well thanks to everyone who replied.

The reason I appiled for CreditOne is the pre qualifer for Capital one said I had no offers. I then actually applied and got approved for QuicksilverOne and a classic platinum, which are both unsecured lines. So I will have two lines that will be good. I was just horrifed by the stories from people about how CreditOne holds payments and basically tries to make you late. Im trying hard to rebuild and want the best. Now that I have Capital One, I just wont activate the card for CreditOne. I am going to call and make sure they dont bill me for the 75 AF.
Message 21 of 37
Jpmack29
Regular Contributor

No need to be terrified of them... With your scores, stick it out with them for 6 months and charge only the bare minimum a month on the card. After 6 months go with a better lender.
Current (8/2015): Equifax 688, Transunion 689, Experian 708
Goal Scores: 700 across the board

Capital One Venture: $5500| Discover it: $4500| American Express Green Card: NPSL| Capital One- QuickSilver: $3000| American Express Everyday Card: $2000| Bank of America- Americard Cash Rewards: $1500 | Barclays Cash Rewards: $1300| Chase Freedom:$1200| Barclays Apple Rewards: $2000
Message 22 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its crazy how they can get ya!

I almost apped for them before I became a part of these forums.

They sent nice packaging and a credit limit up to $1500! Before I worked in finance and started to learn about credit I would have never know how bad that is. Espically when they are sending it to me. I have scores in the 750s. lol No thanks.

Get out asap and get a cap one secured Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

As others have mentioned, Credit One isn't THAT scary so long as you manage your account properly.

I have no interest in secured cards. Credit One gave me a $1500 limit fresh out of Chapter 7 discharge. I'll baby this account and am hoping to get Cap One cards after 6 months of good history. (I know others that have burned them badly often get them right after discharge, but I want to wait for better chances/better limits.) I'll cancel before the annual fee rolls around again. So I think the $75 first year annual fee will be well worth it.

A trick I've found is to pay Credit One through your bank's online bill pay. Payment posted and was available in 2 days with no fees Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

As others have mentioned, Credit One isn't THAT scary so long as you manage your account properly.

I have no interest in secured cards. Credit One gave me a $1500 limit fresh out of Chapter 7 discharge. I'll baby this account and am hoping to get Cap One cards after 6 months of good history. (I know others that have burned them badly often get them right after discharge, but I want to wait for better chances/better limits.) I'll cancel before the annual fee rolls around again. So I think the $75 first year annual fee will be well worth it.

A trick I've found is to pay Credit One through your bank's online bill pay. Payment posted and was available in 2 days with no fees Smiley Wink

OMG I seriously love you.  I never thought to do that.  I agree with you about them not being THAT scary.  Scary is having a credit card through Applied Bank... the stress of closing that card was killer.Smiley Frustrated   I got this card 9 years ago and had to keep it because my credit was never good enough for better cards.   My ditzy brain couldn't keep up with paying my student loans on time or keeping up with their status.  Thanks to the power of technology, I buckled down and got my loans straightened out. Also  due to a good payment history and paying down my Credit One card, I was able to qualify for Cap One and Chase freedom.  I hate the monthly fee that Credit One has and I don't want to close it due to AAoA and my payment history with them being so good.  As my score goes up to a comfortable place I think I will do it, but not right now and your trick will save me from paying a minimum interest charge.  It's only 1.00 but its still my money. 

Message 25 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

My problem was I went solely off the prequal for CapitalOne when I got denied that I thought CreditOne was my only option. I got approved for QuicksilverOne and Platinum unsecured right after.
I made a quick call to CreditOne, you can cancel the application before it gets processed to avoid them sending the card. Ill still get the hard check but things are all good.
I have two unsecured Capital One cards now. Smiley Happy
2 weeks outta discharge. Im happy.
Message 26 of 37
juniornj23
Established Contributor

I have 2 card from them after and I always Pif but still you have to pay interest. However this card had help me to build my credit today I'm close to 700 after app spree for 12 K so if you have limited credit you can take it but pay every day whatever you charge.

Only if you don't have at least 3 credit card.
Amex ED (2000) Amex BCE (2000) Amex macys (5000) Amex Gold , VENTURE (5000) MC PLATINUM (600) CAP QUICKSILVERONE (1250) CAP QUICKSILVER (4500) CAP QUICKSILVER (3500) PENFED AMEX (5000) PENFED CASH REWARDS (25,000) PENDFED REWARDS VISA SIGNATURE (20,000) UPROMISE (1000) NFL (4000) OVERSTOCK (2800) HSN (3200) DISCOVER IT(8500) AMAZON PRIME (10000) MARVEL(7000) BOF VISA(2000) BEST BUY VISA CITI (9000) BLISPAY (9000)Amex Magnet (10,000) Uber (3100)

WELCOME TO 100K CLUB . LAST APP 08/29/18 Credit Score 8 TU 720 EQ 705 EX 724

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 720
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

CARD I want .
Chase Freedom and US cash +

Now back to the garden until 2020
Message 27 of 37
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Jeff532003 wrote:
Credit one would be an absolute last resort. Secured cards would be a much better option in my opinion.

+1 

Do a search on LVNV, that's the same company as CreditOne - deal with the devil and be forwarned !!

Message 28 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got this card during rebuilding and it served its purpose. I just canceled mine because I don't use it. It was actually the first reward credit card I had with the 1% on gas. You won't lose any sleep closing this card. There is bigger and better out there.

Message 29 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just update i canceled before they sent the card and got a letter in the mail saying I canceled. I know some people on here in other topics had gotten a bill before their card came and thats what I was afraid of. But Its all taken care of and Im glad I go capone.
Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.