Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One asking for copy of SS card

tag
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

Credit One asking for copy of SS card

Is this a normal practice? My GF is attempting to rebuild her credit and when she called and spoke to a CSR they requested that she mail, or fax them a copy of her social security card and her drivers license. She's more than a little uncomfortable about this and we'd abort the whole process if she hadn't already taken the inq from them.

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit One asking for copy of SS card

@drsmith wrote:

Is this a normal practice? My GF is attempting to rebuild her credit and when she called and spoke to a CSR they requested that she mail, or fax them a copy of her social security card and her drivers license. She's more than a little uncomfortable about this and we'd abort the whole process if she hadn't already taken the inq from them.

Which Bank/CCC and which CC did she app for?

Do you know her CR and score?

Message 2 of 11
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

It's just the Credit One Visa

her CR shows a a charge off with capital one, a charge off with a bank account, and a paid student loan from 2008

Her EQ Fico is 619

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's to be uncomfortable about?  She already provided them all the information on those cards when she submitted the app (except maybe DL #).  I would call back and see what the next CSR says, and if they say the same thing, then I'm sure it's legit, and I would fax it in.  Sometimes they just need to verify identity, especially if it's been some time since she last app'd for credit.  Each bank does it their own way.

Message 4 of 11
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

I would recommend staying away from credit one if she gets approved her cl will likely be under 500 with a 99 AF and close to 30% interest. as far as i know any other company is better than credit one,     just my .02

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 5 of 11
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

For whatever reason she would rather have credit one than try for an unsecured card.

Message 6 of 11
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

An interruption like this can be an opportunity to double-check whether this is a company with which your gf should have a long term credit relationship with.

I found some consumer websites with customer comments about doing business with Credit One (also known as "First Bank of Marin")

- http://www.consumeraffairs.com/credit_cards/credit_one.html

- http://www.complaintsboard.com/?search=credit+one

- http://www.ripoffreport.com/Search/credit-one.aspx

Of course every business gets good and bad customer comments. But what I always try to consider is the severity of the negative customer comments.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@drsmith wrote:

For whatever reason she would rather have credit one than try for an unsecured card.

We, include you, only can do is a give the advise to her.  And the bottom line is, she is the make decision which one to app for.  It sounds like she already made up her mind.  So, then, she have to send the information as they requested if she wants a card with them ... period.

Message 8 of 11
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

I've read several upstanding members of this site have used credit one. They suggested that credit one did fine to get them back on their feet credit wise. I've also worked in customer service for years, and I know all to well that for just about every unsatisfied customer you can show me, I can show you a customer who isn't telling the whole story, or didn't understand the terms they agreed to.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My GF finally canceled her Credit One a month ago after getting a Cap 1 secured.  This month they charged her a $9.95 "cancelation fee".  When she called to ask them about it, they charged her $9.95 to make her payment over the phone.  Good riddance to this shady company...

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.