Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One has my social wrong

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit One has my social wrong

So I found out Credit One has my social incorrect (not surprised tbh) so I called and spoke to csr and told her the situation, place me on hold to speak to her supervisor, then asked me what is my full social. There was another short hold and then read my correct social out loud and said the error has been fixed.

Being Credit One bank I found to be way too easy, to the point I'm kinda sketchy whether it's actually fixed or not.

Has anyone else experienced this as well? Not specifically with credit one, but in general.

This was today, so it won't reflect anytime soon.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit One has my social wrong

@Anonymous wrote:
So I found out Credit One has my social incorrect (not surprised tbh) so I called and spoke to csr and told her the situation, place me on hold to speak to her supervisor, then asked me what is my full social. There was another short hold and then read my correct social out loud and said the error has been fixed.

Being Credit One bank I found to be way too easy, to the point I'm kinda sketchy whether it's actually fixed or not.

Has anyone else experienced this as well? Not specifically with credit one, but in general.

This was today, so it won't reflect anytime soon.

Interesting, does the account show up correctly on your credit report(s)? 

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mmm, oddly it does to Experian and equifax, but TU is the only bureau that has it incorrect. I fixed it 3 times and the 3rd I was complaining to TU the csr said its credit one reporting incorrectly.
Message 3 of 8
creditguy
Valued Contributor

I'm surprised they didn't charge you a fee to correct your SSN. Your right feel sketchy, just keep an eye on your reports and hold their feet to the fire.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, there are millions of files with alternative SSN attached to them.

Over the course of your life, there will be a gazillion times where a clerk/ typist creates a buzz file dye to typos or close enough spellings or addresses

Is happens all day everyday, sometimes clients purposely switch digits, not wanting to give a 'real' social to say the cable company,bam you've got an alternative social attached to you

You are a Jr or Sr or the III
You live at 123 Main and somebody types 1234 out of habit
You are James, Jim, Jimmy, Jimbo, Jimmie, J.D.
You live at 123 Main Apt A or is it #A, Unit A, Suite A
Is it Main St., Main Ave., Main Blvd., Main Way, Main Pl

Point is...this is widespread and as understandable as it may be for these simple errors to be made

It should further illustrate how diligently we must be in monitoring and correcting information on our files, I tell my clients constantly this isn't a joke

Because when there is a question, even a small one with regard to the correct identifying information it cost POINTS, many times we overlook these type of easy to get (or lose) points

You can be approved and most times we are but because credit scores are about RISK, if your info can only be described as 92% accurate (again, good enough) then the risk factor of the model will reflect so in its scoring.

The model thrives for ONE clean exact perfect match show you are you, not that it's most likely but basically certain is best.
So all things equal to maximize points, one would want ZERO alternative, thems or addresses as any variation= possible risk and risk= point reduction

These little misnomers are why it's so hard to get a perfect 850, no matter how well one pays their bills.

Just having a person with a like name, that may share some other could be,might be tidbit is enough to be 97% certain vs 99.99% that's enough

*Normally, not a big deal but it's interesting to know a lot of what we may feel is no biggie or we'd just assume any idiot would know/understand as a common mistake/issue actually may matter score-wise.... again most times you'd never know because it's so internal you wouldn't even consider it,we pay attention to obviously stuff like HP point deductions, not the fact that Jr. and Sr. will likely NEVER recover 100% clean Identity points because there will Always exist the possibility of it being him vs me, period.

This changes, a little once Jr. moves across the country but remember they likely have legit past similar addresses on some file somewhere.

Remember Terminator...just kill all John Conners who knows, even the one with a 23% chance of being the right one MIGHT be the one, so wipe em all out,

Computer models calculate RISK, period and if things aren't perfect it's a deduction, period.
Message 5 of 8
iv
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Unfortunately, there are millions of files with alternative SSN attached to them.

Over the course of your life, there will be a gazillion times where a clerk/ typist creates a buzz file dye to typos or close enough spellings or addresses

Is happens all day everyday, sometimes clients purposely switch digits, not wanting to give a 'real' social to say the cable company,bam you've got an alternative social attached to you

You are a Jr or Sr or the III
You live at 123 Main and somebody types 1234 out of habit
You are James, Jim, Jimmy, Jimbo, Jimmie, J.D.
You live at 123 Main Apt A or is it #A, Unit A, Suite A
Is it Main St., Main Ave., Main Blvd., Main Way, Main Pl

Point is...this is widespread and as understandable as it may be for these simple errors to be made

It should further illustrate how diligently we must be in monitoring and correcting information on our files, I tell my clients constantly this isn't a joke

Because when there is a question, even a small one with regard to the correct identifying information it cost POINTS, many times we overlook these type of easy to get (or lose) points

You can be approved and most times we are but because credit scores are about RISK, if your info can only be described as 92% accurate (again, good enough) then the risk factor of the model will reflect so in its scoring.

The model thrives for ONE clean exact perfect match show you are you, not that it's most likely but basically certain is best.
So all things equal to maximize points, one would want ZERO alternative, thems or addresses as any variation= possible risk and risk= point reduction

These little misnomers are why it's so hard to get a perfect 850, no matter how well one pays their bills.

Just having a person with a like name, that may share some other could be,might be tidbit is enough to be 97% certain vs 99.99% that's enough

*Normally, not a big deal but it's interesting to know a lot of what we may feel is no biggie or we'd just assume any idiot would know/understand as a common mistake/issue actually may matter score-wise.... again most times you'd never know because it's so internal you wouldn't even consider it,we pay attention to obviously stuff like HP point deductions, not the fact that Jr. and Sr. will likely NEVER recover 100% clean Identity points because there will Always exist the possibility of it being him vs me, period.

This changes, a little once Jr. moves across the country but remember they likely have legit past similar addresses on some file somewhere.

Remember Terminator...just kill all John Conners who knows, even the one with a 23% chance of being the right one MIGHT be the one, so wipe em all out,

Computer models calculate RISK, period and if things aren't perfect it's a deduction, period.

Um, what?

No.

Not unless an identity issue results in someone else's actual tradeline(s) appearing on your reports, or any of your tradelines NOT appearing on your reports... but those are ERRORS, and they are VISIBLE on the reports. (And thus correctable.)

Other than that, just having alternate names, addresses, etc has absolutely NO impact on FICO scoring. At all.

Suggesting that the mere existance of people with similiar names/addresses can make it "so hard to get a perfect 850" is completely and utterly wrong.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to keep my response polite and civil

As you might not understand exactly what RISK scoring consist of

And yes PERFECTION or near perfection in THIS Willliam Jones being 'the' William Jones does effect 'risk' based scoring

Any deviation (even ones generally accepted) does open up the RISK that it isn't the correct person

Bill Jones

Billy Jones

Will Jones

Willie Jones

William Jr.

All provide however small the POSSIBLITY that this isn't the same person, or that a person could claim NOT to be the right person

and that by definition equals RISK, period

This is the reason it's easier for Pops in the same address with the name Paul without any Jr.'s etc (however slightly easier but easier) to secure

a closer to zero RISK score than a person with perfect history but lots of legitmate address changes

Like it or not every address change creates a slight RISK, not associated with a vetted long ago verified address

this is why many apps ask about address changes over the last 3 years trying to vet and connect stings of adddresses prefectly over varying decades

vs a person with only ONE.

Um, what?

No.

Not unless an identity issue results in someone else's actual tradeline(s) appearing on your reports, or any of your tradelines NOT appearing on your reports... but those are ERRORS, and they are VISIBLE on the reports. (And thus correctable.)

Other than that, just having alternate names, addresses, etc has absolutely NO impact on FICO scoring. At all.

Suggesting that the mere existance of people with similiar names/addresses can make it "so hard to get a perfect 850" is completely and utterly wrong.

This is such a JOKE it's not even funny...of course there are plenty of things that YOU may say are VISIBLE errors that are 'thus CORRECTABLE'

but why do you think the whole dispute process exist?

CRA don't like to just REMOVE info they THINK 'may' be close enoughto put into a file...it's a guessing game on their part

These things aren't RESUMES' where you get absolute say over what you CLAIM is and error and MILLIONS upon millions of profiles have tidbits of information

that ppl don't totally agree with all day every day.

Because CRA's get heir information from 3rd parties if THEY type

Jim vs James vs Jimmy....you now have legit AKA's in your profile....which = RISK b/c it puts into question is THIS the exact right guy?

To say that MERE identity variance due to similiar names and addresses doesn't effect RISK scoring is completely and utterly showing ignorance of what RISK RATING is all about.

The mere POSSIBILITY that it was Jr. vs Sr. vs the 3rd equals RISK, the risk of 'it wasn't ME it was him'

Bob Jones on 80th place POSSIBLY being confused with or actually being

Robert Jones on 80th place is a RISK

Some of this stuff is an error and some is actually ppl trying to get over, changing a few numbers on the social....was it a clerical error or an attempt to fool the computer and scam a new card?

Ppl only speak of the shared with the general public portion of RISK SCORING but within that rating rather you want to believe it or not, I don't care, the model does indeed consider the difference between 'virtually positive' this is the guy at the perfect address and most likely ......again 96% is still an A but there is a difference between the RISK model vetting at 99.9999 (850) and 96% very high 800's but not 850

Too many naive ppl think perfect payment history alone can secure a 850 and not is 100% WRONG

You can be Donald Trump on a house boat that varying address can cost you at prefect score

I'm shocked that a person would even DEBATE that varying addresses would effect RISK SCORING ...it's to obvious

Simply MOVING effects RISK SCORING b/c it adds a variable, variables equal possible risk....the same way when even a 'so far' prefect payer adds credit

to his/her profile 'is this the one that breaks the camel's back'...it's uncertain, till it isn't so at THAT moment a NEW RISK exist

And yes even an address change present a new risk, is it the right person, who actually got the card, will someone claim it wasn't them 2 years from now....

Most women over 35 have perfect fine chidren w/o issue however their RISK in generally is slightly higher than a younger woman PERIOD ...does it mean she or her baby won't be fine, course not but on paper by stats 22 is closer to '850' than 35 ever will be....same as variance in names on the credit file.

There is a reason the number of 850's is so rare ....are 'smart' ppl to believe it's over just paying bills on time?

C'mon now

That's why many credit places use the term perfect credit with 850 NOT being the critera b/c so many obituary (in real day-to-day life) things WILL and DO effect the RISK RATING as programmed into the FICO model.....many ppl almost 20% of the pop can obtain 800 but the % narrows great towards 850....WHY?

b/c of little nagging B.S. issues that PREVENT 98-99.5% of profiles from reaching that 850

Otherwise WHY aren't there more 850's, friend

We have ppl get perfect SATs every year and more and more can/do obtain ALL the 'right' answers when dealing with questions where correct answers exist....

the FICO RISK score is a judgement of what to model would 'guess' like a Vegas computer predicting who will has the best chance to go 19-0 and when the Super Bowl a '850' rating against losing one game is as diffiuclt to perfect vet, ask the 18-1 2007 N.E. PatriotsSmiley Tongue 

Message 7 of 8
iv
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm going to keep my response polite and civil

As you might not understand exactly what RISK scoring consist of

Staying FSR will be...difficult here, yes.

I am quite clear on risk-based scoring, thank you.  And the screed(?) rant(?) below... isn't.

Some of what you suggest would in fact be a blatant violation of federal law.

Some simply isn't meaningfully determinative.

Some can be considered by an underwriter or a lender's internal model, but is not a FICO factor. (IE: Frequent address changes.)

None of the below is supported in any way by actual demonstrated facts - asserting that "..it's to obvious" isn't exactly a standard of proof.

And asserting that the only way to obtain a FICO 850 is to have a globally-unique name and a single address.... well.  Clearly false - go ask the folks around here who have/had 850s (including myself) if that was required. (Hint: No. See below.)

@Anonymous wrote:

And yes PERFECTION or near perfection in THIS Willliam Jones being 'the' William Jones does effect 'risk' based scoring

Any deviation (even ones generally accepted) does open up the RISK that it isn't the correct person

Bill Jones

Billy Jones

Will Jones

Willie Jones

William Jr.

All provide however small the POSSIBLITY that this isn't the same person, or that a person could claim NOT to be the right person

and that by definition equals RISK, period

This is the reason it's easier for Pops in the same address with the name Paul without any Jr.'s etc (however slightly easier but easier) to secure

a closer to zero RISK score than a person with perfect history but lots of legitmate address changes

Like it or not every address change creates a slight RISK, not associated with a vetted long ago verified address

this is why many apps ask about address changes over the last 3 years trying to vet and connect stings of adddresses prefectly over varying decades

vs a person with only ONE.

Um, what?

No.

This is such a JOKE it's not even funny...of course there are plenty of things that YOU may say are VISIBLE errors that are 'thus CORRECTABLE'

but why do you think the whole dispute process exist?

CRA don't like to just REMOVE info they THINK 'may' be close enoughto put into a file...it's a guessing game on their part

These things aren't RESUMES' where you get absolute say over what you CLAIM is and error and MILLIONS upon millions of profiles have tidbits of information

that ppl don't totally agree with all day every day.

Because CRA's get heir information from 3rd parties if THEY type

Jim vs James vs Jimmy....you now have legit AKA's in your profile....which = RISK b/c it puts into question is THIS the exact right guy?

To say that MERE identity variance due to similiar names and addresses doesn't effect RISK scoring is completely and utterly showing ignorance of what RISK RATING is all about.

The mere POSSIBILITY that it was Jr. vs Sr. vs the 3rd equals RISK, the risk of 'it wasn't ME it was him'

Bob Jones on 80th place POSSIBLY being confused with or actually being

Robert Jones on 80th place is a RISK

Some of this stuff is an error and some is actually ppl trying to get over, changing a few numbers on the social....was it a clerical error or an attempt to fool the computer and scam a new card?

Ppl only speak of the shared with the general public portion of RISK SCORING but within that rating rather you want to believe it or not, I don't care, the model does indeed consider the difference between 'virtually positive' this is the guy at the perfect address and most likely ......again 96% is still an A but there is a difference between the RISK model vetting at 99.9999 (850) and 96% very high 800's but not 850

Too many naive ppl think perfect payment history alone can secure a 850 and not is 100% WRONG

You can be Donald Trump on a house boat that varying address can cost you at prefect score

I'm shocked that a person would even DEBATE that varying addresses would effect RISK SCORING ...it's to obvious

Simply MOVING effects RISK SCORING b/c it adds a variable, variables equal possible risk....the same way when even a 'so far' prefect payer adds credit

to his/her profile 'is this the one that breaks the camel's back'...it's uncertain, till it isn't so at THAT moment a NEW RISK exist

And yes even an address change present a new risk, is it the right person, who actually got the card, will someone claim it wasn't them 2 years from now....

Most women over 35 have perfect fine chidren w/o issue however their RISK in generally is slightly higher than a younger woman PERIOD ...does it mean she or her baby won't be fine, course not but on paper by stats 22 is closer to '850' than 35 ever will be....same as variance in names on the credit file.

There is a reason the number of 850's is so rare ....are 'smart' ppl to believe it's over just paying bills on time?

C'mon now

That's why many credit places use the term perfect credit with 850 NOT being the critera b/c so many obituary (in real day-to-day life) things WILL and DO effect the RISK RATING as programmed into the FICO model.....many ppl almost 20% of the pop can obtain 800 but the % narrows great towards 850....WHY?

b/c of little nagging B.S. issues that PREVENT 98-99.5% of profiles from reaching that 850

Otherwise WHY aren't there more 850's, friend

We have ppl get perfect SATs every year and more and more can/do obtain ALL the 'right' answers when dealing with questions where correct answers exist....

the FICO RISK score is a judgement of what to model would 'guess' like a Vegas computer predicting who will has the best chance to go 19-0 and when the Super Bowl a '850' rating against losing one game is as diffiuclt to perfect vet, ask the 18-1 2007 N.E. PatriotsSmiley Tongue 

...except that (now with FICO 8, anyway), there are plenty of 850s around.  More and more people popping up here with perfect scores.

For a counter-example:

I have multiple addresses on my reports.

I have a fairly similiar name to someone still living at one of those previous addresses.

And yet, I managed to reach across-the-board FICO 8 850s back in 2014. (And then opened a number of new accounts... expecting to be back up there by the end of the year.)

Tell me - in your ...theory... how was that possible?

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.