Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One

tag
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit One

Congrats.  I have to laugh every time I get an offer in the mail from them.  Their marketing is flawed if they think I would take their high AF card with a low credit limit when I already have three accounts in the Premier Category.  I chuckled when I looked at my credit report and saw 3 'Flexible Spending Accounts' listed.  I only thought 2 of them were of that status.  Oddly, the Amex, from Amex, is not one of them!  The Amex from FNBO is the third one, which I also find funny since the limit is not that high.  It is half the limit of of the lower of the two other.

You're not missing much by being rid of the Credit One card.  The AF is not worth it!  They are a bank with only one level of products.  You would think at some point hey would simply keep the business and the revenue by offering an upgrade to a better product.  They could easily establish guidelines for it and test it out, but they seem very happy with their business plan.  I once made the mistake of getting a First Premier card, then I thought twice about it and closed it pretty quickly.  It still reports positively on my credit report all these years later.  Your closed account will be there reporting nicely for many years, so at least you have that.  It might not age as open, but it will still report for many years.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 11 of 17
JonStur
Established Contributor

Way to go!!!

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 12 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

Congarts 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 13 of 17
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

I got home this afternoon and in the mail i received a First premeir PLATINUM  offer and the annual fee was only $175 !   i did laugh out loud and proudly threw it in file 13.  I have learned one thing.  The past two months i have moved my score from 630 to 693.  I had a lot inquires from Chase, NCFU and where i wanted to get a travel trailer earlier than that.   Well that has bitten me on my shot on a line of credit at the CU.  Only got 2500 out of the 5 i wanted so i have the loan officer going to call the underwriters tomorrow to make sure they understand its for a refinance.  Once i get that done and refi the car in a couple of weeks when my score breaks 700, I am on easy street for at least a year Smiley Happy    Man, gettin your stuff right is a headache but OH so full filling....

Thanks to all of you Smiley Happy

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 14 of 17
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

Congrats!

Gonna happen for me in the next few months.  I wanted to raise my CL on some of my others before giving them (and Matrix) the boot though.

Message 15 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

@KoolDev wrote:

I got home this afternoon and in the mail i received a First premeir PLATINUM  offer and the annual fee was only $175 !   i did laugh out loud and proudly threw it in file 13.  I have learned one thing.  The past two months i have moved my score from 630 to 693.  I had a lot inquires from Chase, NCFU and where i wanted to get a travel trailer earlier than that.   Well that has bitten me on my shot on a line of credit at the CU.  Only got 2500 out of the 5 i wanted so i have the loan officer going to call the underwriters tomorrow to make sure they understand its for a refinance.  Once i get that done and refi the car in a couple of weeks when my score breaks 700, I am on easy street for at least a year Smiley Happy    Man, gettin your stuff right is a headache but OH so full filling....

Thanks to all of you Smiley Happy

Well said and so try Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 16 of 17
madnutz
New Contributor

I need to read the closing your card thread, I have a bunch of credit cards with annual fees listed and I need to close them out, I have

Matrix

merrick bank

credit one

first premier 

first savings

LOL, I was desperate to get any credit card back in the day to start establishing it, now I have a barclay card, chase freedom and two others with a credit union all with 0 annual fee, I'm scared to close them though, probably what I will do is close the once I have recently opened.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.