Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One

tag
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Re: Credit One

Ya it is easy to say yuck when you have a wallet full of prime cards. This is a rebuilder card for people with very bad credit. It is not in the same category as Amex or Discover.
Message 31 of 40
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

agreed.  Its not a prime card.  I've had it for about 2 years, and the paying for express payment, pay to cli, etc, is annoying.

BUT, they auto cli without a HP, and often, they report on time, and you get free score monitoring.  so... really is it that much worse than being on experians monitoring service?

I currently have a limit of 1250 with them which i think is around the max.  I think i started at 300, and got an auto cli every 6 months.  My BOA is my lowest card right now at 1000, but I also have a cap 1 and a usaa, which are better lenders.  As soon as BOA catches up with the other cards for CL i'm dumping the Credit 1, but until then, its helping me keep my overall util at 36%

CK EQ: 730 / CK TU: 735 / EXP FICO: 721 / EX Vantage: 793 / Total Exposure: 112K
Message 32 of 40
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

@Peter1142 wrote:
Ya it is easy to say yuck when you have a wallet full of prime cards. This is a rebuilder card for people with very bad credit. It is not in the same category as Amex or Discover.

A garbage card for those with a garbage credit rating?  Smiley Happy

Either way, it's highway robbery.  A high AF... charges for CLI, charges for payments... etc... etc...  Glad I never had to deal with them.  I did what my CU told me to do when I talked to them the week I got my discharge... "Go apply with Cap1 and come back in 6 months and we'll approve you for a card."  So I did... and they did...  It was that easy.

I also filed a 13 though and not a 7 so my scores were a bit higher.

Message 33 of 40
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Of course Cap 1 is better (slightly), but 2 cards rebuild credit faster than one, and paying $200/yr to rebuild credit is a very small price to pay.
Message 34 of 40
heavenli
Contributor

@heygirlhey wrote:

For what its worth, I'd like to say I've had Credit One for about 8 months now with no issues. I've paid on time and it's helped me improve my credit. I received 2 pre-approvals for DiscoverIT and Chase Freedom which I've now added both to my wallet. Before this, I'd always get declined for cards! 

If you use the CREDIT ONE card responsibly, it's a good card to help your credit score in a short amount of time.  Not to mention you get a 1% instant cash back on gas purchases.

That said, I wouldn't hold on to it any longer than necessary. My balance will be paid off next month and I plan on canceling it.  I didn't even have to pay a sign up fee (lucky, I know!) So I'll get out relatively unscathed! Truth be told, If the gas reward on it was better than either of my new cards, I would probably keep it! 

** Just thought I'd put the other side of things out there! In reading these boards, I've noticed that sometimes people can be scared away from something that could actually benefit them. Everyone is different and people should see all sides of things. It's easy to say "YUCK its a crappy card" when your wallet is full of 25K+ limit AMEX cards!

Smiley Happy

Thanks so much for your feedback! My goal is to obtain as many positive lines as possible to I am credit worthy to buy a house in 2 years! woot woot.. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Message 35 of 40
heavenli
Contributor

@bobbay wrote:

Credit one was good to me.  My starting CL was $1500.  Before my capital one cards got a CLI's I needed an account to charge so they would report $0 balance while the other was maxed out mid cycle.  I get free credit score with them and it is a SD card now.  I tried the CLI with them and they said the card is less than 1 year old so it is just going to sit in the SD until it is at least over 1 year old before I close it out.  It has served a purpose and is there in an emergency.  I will say that with a small CL it would make the card very difficult to use with the delayed payment credit and all of the fee's.

@bobbay wrote:

Credit one was good to me.  My starting CL was $1500.  Before my capital one cards got a CLI's I needed an account to charge so they would report $0 balance while the other was maxed out mid cycle.  I get free credit score with them and it is a SD card now.  I tried the CLI with them and they said the card is less than 1 year old so it is just going to sit in the SD until it is at least over 1 year old before I close it out.  It has served a purpose and is there in an emergency.  I will say that with a small CL it would make the card very difficult to use with the delayed payment credit and all of the fee's.

Thanks!!!!

Message 36 of 40
heavenli
Contributor

@mccallb wrote:

agreed.  Its not a prime card.  I've had it for about 2 years, and the paying for express payment, pay to cli, etc, is annoying.

BUT, they auto cli without a HP, and often, they report on time, and you get free score monitoring.  so... really is it that much worse than being on experians monitoring service?

I currently have a limit of 1250 with them which i think is around the max.  I think i started at 300, and got an auto cli every 6 months.  My BOA is my lowest card right now at 1000, but I also have a cap 1 and a usaa, which are better lenders.  As soon as BOA catches up with the other cards for CL i'm dumping the Credit 1, but until then, its helping me keep my overall util at 36%

Yeah I have heard that Credit one is for People with really bad credit! Has anyone had a hard time with cancelling the card and being charged erroneous fees? I have heard that happens as well.

Message 37 of 40
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Peter1142 wrote:

It's definitely preferable to FP, but not as good as Cap One or Merrick.  However, it's important to know what you're getting into with CreditOne.  Secured cards might be a more affordable option in many situations. 

I'm closing my Credit One very soon!

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 38 of 40
cuti
Regular Contributor

@heygirlhey wrote:

For what its worth, I'd like to say I've had Credit One for about 8 months now with no issues. I've paid on time and it's helped me improve my credit. I received 2 pre-approvals for DiscoverIT and Chase Freedom which I've now added both to my wallet. Before this, I'd always get declined for cards! 

If you use the CREDIT ONE card responsibly, it's a good card to help your credit score in a short amount of time.  Not to mention you get a 1% instant cash back on gas purchases.

That said, I wouldn't hold on to it any longer than necessary. My balance will be paid off next month and I plan on canceling it.  I didn't even have to pay a sign up fee (lucky, I know!) So I'll get out relatively unscathed! Truth be told, If the gas reward on it was better than either of my new cards, I would probably keep it! 

** Just thought I'd put the other side of things out there! In reading these boards, I've noticed that sometimes people can be scared away from something that could actually benefit them. Everyone is different and people should see all sides of things. It's easy to say "YUCK its a crappy card" when your wallet is full of 25K+ limit AMEX cards!

Smiley Happy

i like your comment Smiley Happy i dont have good credit but they give me the card with 500 credit limit 17.90 APR and only 35 AF . And that's it , im always make regular payment without any fee , i dont know why people keep complaint when they rebuilding credit . love this : Everyone is different and people should see all sides of things. It's easy to say "YUCK its a crappy card" when your wallet is full of 25K+ limit AMEX cards

Message 39 of 40
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@cuti wrote:

@heygirlhey wrote:

Smiley Happy

i like your comment Smiley Happy i dont have good credit but they give me the card with 500 credit limit 17.90 APR and only 35 AF . And that's it , im always make regular payment without any fee , i dont know why people keep complaint when they rebuilding credit . love this : Everyone is different and people should see all sides of things. It's easy to say "YUCK its a crappy card" when your wallet is full of 25K+ limit AMEX cards

Every TL has its purpose, and certainly many people have used Credit One to rebuild.  I did, before I even knew what it meant to rebuild.  Credit One is my oldest open CC currently, and I am indeed grateful that they approved me when no one else would.   A few months after they approved me in late 2010, I was able to pick up a Household Bank card (now my Cap One).  These two eventually led me to get a pre-approval offer for JCP, which was my first card in my rebuild with no AF.  

And I will also be moving on from Credit One very soon, because they have just about finished serving their purpose in my credit build.  My positive history with them will continue to show on my CRs until 2024, so I definitely won't forget them.  They will be the first card that I closed in good terms since my AMEX way back in 1999, so at least I will do that well, too.  

As grateful as I am, I still would advise people that don't need Credit One to take other TLs instead.   For those who use them, know their terms and use them to help build better credit habits for yourself.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.