Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Portfolio Advice

tag
AAstra
Regular Contributor

Credit Portfolio Advice

Just wanted to get the advice of anyone that cares to chime in. I'm currently using what is in my signature less the Sears and Apple cards (used occassionally to keep them open). I cover all major expenses like groceries (BCE), gas (BCE or this quarter IT/Freedom) and that is about it. I use the CapOne for just about everything else due to the 1.25% and it gets me travel rewards instead of straight cash back like the Amex, Discover and Chase. Is there anything else that I should look to get? 

I'm currently just looking to grow my credit lines and credit score (targeting the elusive 800 score) but would rather app anything else now and build from there. I do somewhat regret having both the IT and Freedom. I app'd both of these at the same time but wish I wouldn't have since they offer the same things, and in some cases such as the current quarter, offer the same category at the same time.

Current scores are around 765 for all three bureus. Any suggestions on new cards, PC'ing (Freedom possibly) or doing anything differently to get to the 800 score would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all!

FICO - TU: 815 | EQ: 793 | EX: 813

Sears MasterCard: $13k (1/2013)
Capital One Venture One Visa Signature: $10k (7/2015)
Amex BCE: $9.8k (3/2014)
Amex Corporate: NPSL
Chase Freedom Visa Signature: $9.5k (3/2014)
Discover it: $9.5k (3/2014)
Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards: $2.65k (6/2013)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Portfolio Advice

Chase Freedom and Discover It have different categories next quarter: 5% back on groceries with the Freedom and 5% back on restaurants and movies with the It. You should keep the Freedom. The only other Chase cards you could PC it to are the Slate and CSP, I believe. The Slate is only good for BTs and PCing to the CSP would cause you to miss out on the great sign-up bonus. If you're willing to use the CSP UR portal, you would get better travel rewards with the CSP than the Venture One. Also, you can merge Freedom points with CSP points for even greater returns.

Message 2 of 3
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Portfolio Advice

Congratulations on the good score, and the good lineup of cards.

Don't confuse the Discover with the Freedom card. The categories overlap, but Freedom earns UR points, which you can consider holding on to, building up, for future transfers. Also Q2 and Q3, there is no overlap between the two cards, and so they complement in those cases.

Given your current lineup, and your goal of 800, I'd suggest no applications. New apps right now will slow your progress toward 800. You have a good rewards set now, and you can build UR points in your Freedom account.

Later, you can look into applying for the CSP, then consider moving the built up + signup bonus UR points to a partner such as Hyatt. The redemption value is quite good there. Transfer to an airline is also possible.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.