Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score isn't everything.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Score isn't everything.

As for the OP's statement, "Credit Score isn't everything."  I would disagree.  I am in the camp that believes that you should have at all times possible a highly optimized score when need be.  I don't want to have to prep my credit profile 2-4 months leading up to a major purchase.  There are others who believe otherwise: six of one, half dozen of another?  Yet, keep a 2% utilization as a hard rule on a $1,500 is useless in my eyes.  I think the OP's friend misunderstands the utilization game?  He needs to spend a bit of time on this site learning how to best utilize that $1,500.  

However, this thread should be more about credit card usage.  Figuring out what the best way to use your credit to increase your limits and allow yourself more opportunity.  

Message 11 of 12
afinch1992
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit Score isn't everything.

I think micro-managing credit is all too common in this community. Use you card(s), pay them in full before or after statment, and if you want a new card apply for it. Sure there are exceptions like if you already have 20 inq on each, but even then sometimes it doesn't matter much. Obviously you need to know what bracket your in (i.e. youre not going to apply for prime cards in the 500s), but I don't see the point in wasting time making sure you hit 1% utilization every month until the month you are applying for a mortgage.

AMEX BCE 18000CL, Citi DC 15000CL, AMEX EDP 15000CL, CSP 5000CL, Fidelity AMEX 5000CL, Sallie Mae MC 7400CL, US Bank Cash+ 5000CL, Chase Freedom 4000CL, Capital One QS 6000CL, BoA Better Balance 2500CL, Discover It 2000CL, BoA Better Cash Rewards 500CL, Chase Amazon CC 700CL

TU: 756 EX: 755 EQ: 753
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.