Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score update after 3 years of patience and hard work

tag
DomoNomo
Contributor

Credit Score update after 3 years of patience and hard work

First post, but a long time lurker.  Thanks to this website, I have finally raised my score to Excellent.  I know this is Credit Karma, but I recently received a FICO score from American Express of 759, pulled from Experian.

My score started out in the low 500 back in 2008, but I gather much further, since I messed up on my credit report long ago back when I was 18.  I was careless with credit cards, had a lot of collections and defaulted on three student loans.  In 2010 and now in my late 20s, it was time to take on some credit responsibility, but I simply didn't know where to begin.  I couldn't get any lenders or banks to approve me of any credit whatsoever.  It was only then, when I found this site, that my luck started to change. 

I found out I could get a secure credit card through my bank, Wells Fargo, which I graduated within 9 months in 2009 of Oct/Nov.  My very first non secure credit card was born since 2001.  WOW!!  I then went on to clean some of the baddies on my credit report and found out that I was able to clear a lot of them, mostly collections that were many years old (except my student loans).  *Just for the record, I paid all 3 of my defaulted student loans back in 05, not by choice, but the government garnished my wages for nearly 5 years to pay it all off. Smiley Happy  By paying off my student loans early on, this ended up helping me in the long run, as all three of the credit bureau drop the negative report back in late 2012.  My score was starting the push up but I was not in the clear yet.  August of 2013 was when my very last negative fell off.  A Capital One credit card that was due to fall off in 2014, but after months of pestering and challenging them, they finally took it off. 

In between, 2009 and 2013, I was able own my home, received a good rate on my car loan and approved for  new Credit Cards with awesome rewards. I couldn't have done it without the help of everyone here.  Here's to being responsible with Credit.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Score update after 3 years of patience and hard work

Congratulations on your success!!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
elvigy
Contributor

I have a similar story though from much longer ago (early to mid 90s is when I started cleaning up my credit). So I completely understand the good feeling of knowing when you walk in to buy a car or house that they're not going to laugh at you or stick you with usurious rates. Congratulations on getting there!

Amex BCP | Barclaycard Arrival WMC | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature | Discover IT
Message 3 of 7
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

That's an awesome succes story! Congratulations and keep up the excellent work. Welcome to the forums.

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 4 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Thanks for sharing.  Congrats!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 7
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Great post. Thank you for sharing. I feel like a lot of us have started off in similar places and appreciate you putting your experience and success into words.

I'll never forget the day that my last baddie fell off.

Rock on OP!

Message 6 of 7
GFer
Valued Contributor

Very nice! (Sigh) I just love success stories! My journey is similiar and my success, too was because of the awesome people on these forums!

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.