Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Scoring

tag
simyengi
New Contributor

Credit Scoring

Last month I was able to lower the balances on two of my credit cards to less than 6% of utlilization, while a third (BoA) was sitting at 39%. When the third card reports next week, the balance will be zero. If I continue to keep the first two cards at less than 10% of utliization while the BoA card remains at zero, should I see a nice bump in my score? I'm trying to reach 680 for a mortgage. I currently have a 632 FICO score (middle and lower). My top score is 689.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Scoring

U would see a bump yes... Not sure if the bump will be that high tho...the most ive gotten was around 15 pts w util from 30s to 15 or less...ymmv

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 2 of 12
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Also its best for scoring to pay off all but one...and that one w balance less than 6 percent

---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 3 of 12
Crashem
Valued Contributor

What was your utilization on the cards with the scores you quoted.  I am game to guess the effects.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 12
simyengi
New Contributor

This has occurred since Sept. 1:

Card 1: Balance went from $110 ($250 limit) to $18 (no score increase) - Creditor reports on the 2nd of each month

Card 2: Balance went from $199 ($200 limit) to $5 (and limit increase to $300) - EQ increased 13 points; EX increased 15 points; TU increased 4 points; creditor reports on the 5th of each month

Card 3: Balance has gone from $521 ($1337 limit) to zero. Creditor is expected to report Sept. 14.

Message 5 of 12
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Sorry still didn't answer which balances the scores quoted in original post included and didn't include.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 6 of 12
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

How long have u had your cards as well as crashems qs

---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 7 of 12
simyengi
New Contributor

One card I've had for 10 years and the other two I've had for less than three months.

Message 8 of 12
simyengi
New Contributor

Here's my attempt to answer your question:

Scores on 9/7:

TU: 632

EQ: 632

EX: 689

Balances on those reports:

Capital One: $5 ($300 limit)

Capital Bank: $18 ($250 limit)

BoA: $521 ($1337 limit)

August 15 scores:

TU: 623

EQ: 597

EX: 662

Balances on those reports:

Capital One: $199 ($200 limit)

Capital Bank: $110 ($250 limit)

BoA: $521 ($1337 limit)

Message 9 of 12
themizlyne
Regular Contributor

Pay the $18 card to zero in time for the statement to cut. Keep small balance on $5 card. Keep zero balance card at zero. Do you have any old closed cc's that are reporting balances, if so these will negatively effect your utilization.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.