Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Steps?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Steps?

MsKmm00 wrote:
Is this something offered/advised of as soon as you receive your card in the mail?

Mine came separately, probably about a month after I received my card.
Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was informed about being in the program when I called to activate.
Message 22 of 26
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MsKmm00 wrote:
Is this something offered/advised of as soon as you receive your card in the mail?

Mine came separately, probably about a month after I received my card.

me too.

Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@heirophant wrote:
Here is a bit of advice about over-limit fees.  I went over-limit on my HSBC card once.  I knew it, too.  They will approve something as long as it is under $5 over your credit limit.  However, I called them about it and was informed that they process payments before charges, so I took a chance.  I immediately made a payment online and hoped that it would go through before the charge was finalized.  They both went through on the same day.  The payment was processed first.  No overlimit fee.  So, the lesson is if you know you are going to go overlimit, make a payment right away and you stand a chance of staying within the cardmember agreement.

Cap 1 does the same thing, in my experience.  A few years ago I made a purchase that I knew would send me OTL.  As soon as I got home, like 10-30 minutes later I immediately made a payment to the card, enough to cover the amount I would go over and give me a little extra cushion, which at that time of my life meant like $20.  

Since the payment posted before the purchase, no OTL fee.  And according to the Cap1 website no OTL.  

On a side note, I don't reccomend even getting anywhere close to the limit to have to do something like that, but if you're in a bind, food for thought...

Message 24 of 26
arjames01
Contributor

When I opened my Cap 1 card in 2007 I started with a $400 CL (I think?) I made 3 months worth of payments and got a CLI to $750. I am still stuck at that $750 mark and I just PIF the last $50 balance to bring me down to a $0 balance. Hoping for another CLI sometime soon!

11/2013- EX 690, EQ 763, TU 694
01/2015- EX 781, EQ 775, TU 777

Chase Freedom $7500, AMEX BCE $6000
Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a CapOne card as well, and am in the CreditSteps program, as originally the limit was 300 and 3 months later went to 500. Now I applied for a second card from them and was approved, but my questions is, with CapOne and being in credit steps, if you call the backdoor number after having the card for 5 months now, how likely would i be in getting a CLI?
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.