Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Union Credit Card

tag
baskball33
Valued Member

Credit Union Credit Card

I was just going to apply for a credit card with my Credit Union.  I recently received a signature loan for $4,000 from them.  I have two credit cards with First Premier with perfect history for 3 years.  They have low limits 600 and 650.  I just received a Capital One $500 limit.  Basically, I want to be able to cancel First Premier eventually because as I'm sure many know, it's expensive.  So, I am trying to get other cards to have for a couple years before I cancel those.  I would also like to get a higher limit.  My score just went up quite a bit, from 580 in March to 660 now. 

So, my question is, it asks me how much of a limit I want to apply for.  I have no idea what to say here.  Do I go to $1,500?  That is more than double the limit on either of the cards I have.  I really don't need it for anything, but I don't want to ask for too much and not get approved.  Any advice?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Union Credit Card

@baskball33 wrote:

I was just going to apply for a credit card with my Credit Union.  I recently received a signature loan for $4,000 from them.  I have two credit cards with First Premier with perfect history for 3 years.  They have low limits 600 and 650.  I just received a Capital One $500 limit.  Basically, I want to be able to cancel First Premier eventually because as I'm sure many know, it's expensive.  So, I am trying to get other cards to have for a couple years before I cancel those.  I would also like to get a higher limit.  My score just went up quite a bit, from 580 in March to 660 now. 

So, my question is, it asks me how much of a limit I want to apply for.  I have no idea what to say here.  Do I go to $1,500?  That is more than double the limit on either of the cards I have.  I really don't need it for anything, but I don't want to ask for too much and not get approved.  Any advice?

$1500 sounds reasonable, they are more likely to offer you less than to deny if they don't like the amount.  

If you get it, I would cancel the FIrst Premieres cards right away.   I see no reason to keep them any longer.

Message 2 of 6
score_building
Senior Contributor

ask for at least the same amt as the other loan they approved

if they want to counter offer that's fine, but don't low ball...

your 660 should get you more than you've been used to and +1 on shutting down FP sooner rather than later.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 6
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I agree with score_building. Ask for the same amount as the first loan. Best case they will approve it, worst case they will make a counter offer. There is a saying, if you dont ask you dont get it.

Message 4 of 6
baskball33
Valued Member

I ended up applying for 2k.  I figure that is higher than what I have and more than I need, it's a start.  Honestly, I am nervous to get more.  They did approve the 2k.  So, as soon as I see that and Cap1 reporting I will get rid of first premier. 

Message 5 of 6
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

@baskball33 wrote:

I ended up applying for 2k.  I figure that is higher than what I have and more than I need, it's a start.  Honestly, I am nervous to get more.  They did approve the 2k.  So, as soon as I see that and Cap1 reporting I will get rid of first premier. 

Get rid of them and then PARTY!

We need to have a "I JUST FIRED FIRST PREMIER BANK" party thread on here. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.