Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Union Suggestions?

tag
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

Credit Union Suggestions?

I think if I am going to apply for another card this year, it will probably be one from a CU. I really need a card with a high CL so that I can start to obtain more competitive CL's on the cards I have and future cards. Basically, I need a card that will "most likely" give me 5k+. I don't have an affiliation to any CU so I will probably have to join by becoming a member of an affiliated organization. Any ideas? I also live in NYC, so if you know of any local CU's, please let me know. I've tried searching for local CU's, but all of them have requirements that I cannot fulfill. Thanks in advance! 

This is what my EQ and TU reports look like....

Score: 715

AAoA: 5 years

1 paid CO from 08

Inquiries: 3-4

Highest Limit : 5k

Scores: EX: 793 EQ: 804 TU: 801
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Union Suggestions?

Pen fed. You are eligible if you join the American red cross. Very good credit union. High limits but somewhat conservative. Platinum card has good rewards
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have any family members living in PA?

Message 3 of 7
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you have any family members living in PA?

No, unfortunately not. 

Scores: EX: 793 EQ: 804 TU: 801
Message 4 of 7
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
Pen fed. You are eligible if you join the American red cross. Very good credit union. High limits but somewhat conservative. Platinum card has good rewards

Pen fed might be tough with a co on your report. It is also my understanding that they are very sensitive to inquiries and new accounts as well. Believe it or not, a 715 fico score might even be a bit low for approval on a credit product with them as well.

They are eq pullers so you can base your chances with them off of how that particular report looks. 

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 5 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

As far as pen fed; he may have to wait to meet their criteria... perhaps even let all inquiries age off.

You may also consider digital credit union or fort know credit union. I think those have backdoor ways to join.

Too bad you aren't a nfcu member. Any military association?
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 7
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@ccb2115 wrote:

I think if I am going to apply for another card this year, it will probably be one from a CU. I really need a card with a high CL so that I can start to obtain more competitive CL's on the cards I have and future cards. Basically, I need a card that will "most likely" give me 5k+. I don't have an affiliation to any CU so I will probably have to join by becoming a member of an affiliated organization. Any ideas? I also live in NYC, so if you know of any local CU's, please let me know. I've tried searching for local CU's, but all of them have requirements that I cannot fulfill. Thanks in advance! 

This is what my EQ and TU reports look like....

Score: 715

AAoA: 5 years

1 paid CO from 08

Inquiries: 3-4

Highest Limit : 5k

Usualy the only requirement for local CUs is that you live in the area. You might want to keep checking around. 

Some people on the forum have joined DCU (digital credit union), which also gives a free monthly EQ FICO. I don't believe they're quite so generous as Navy. If you do a search, you can read some posts about them.

Another one that many joined was Alliant CU http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/. There hasn't been much posted about them recently.

USAA, which is not a CU, but many think is, can give generous limits. But as a non-military member, the CC offerings aren't as good as to their "full"/military members. And they are a more conservative lender.

PenFed is pretty popular, too. You can join by making a $15 or $20 m'ship donation to either National Military Family Association or Voices for America's Troops. They can be somewhat conservative, but also is known to give large CLs.

If you or a relative live in PA, you can join PSECU, which I covet!

Of course, ifyou have a military affiliation, you can join NFCU.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.